Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark Clouds on Negative Development

Re: Dark Clouds on Negative Development

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Two things come to mind. (1) The one minute water soak with constant agitation may be too short to ensure complete removal of the anti-halation layer on the base side of the film; I use 2 minutes and others have used even longer times. I'd think that any AH layer left on the negative should, in effect, increase the visible density and be seen as a lighter tone in the positive; although this would contradict what you've said is seen as a positive. Is your posted picture a negative or positive? (2) If that doesn't resolve the issue, then definitely change to an 11x14 (or larger) tray. Obviously, I'm groping at straws here.

I think Doremus is closer to the solution, though.
    Just bear in mind, the longer the wet time the larger the grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    If the "clouds" look milky on the film, as you say, then it is almost definitely underfixing. The fact that they didn't clear up when refixing points to inactive fixer. Test your fixer with a strip of film to see if the fixer clears film quickly. Fresh rapid fix should clear film in under one minute. If that's not the case, mix a new batch from a new bottle (your old concentrate is dead) or mix fresh powder and try again.

Best,

Doremus
    I did refix with a new batch of fixer but nothing happened. I will check my fixer and try again.

Jerry: I really appreciate your notes. I am desperate enough to try anything. My very next step is to try a longer soak (2 mins) and then use 11x14 trays.

BTW: The image I posted is a positive. I increased the contrast to show the problem more clearly. On the negative one could almost miss the issue. It is usually visible as a slightly whitish streak. But when you scan and look closer the issue is all over. (Just to be certain I even changed the scanner.)

I even made our house up to room temp because I noticed my lenses were fogging when I took them outside to the warm, humid air. I figured maybe it was the condensation on the film. But even after changing the temps in the house the issue has persisted.

I am definitely down to issues related to incomplete development and more than likely suspect the smaller trays and the lack of removal on the AH layer.

Thanks again for your input.

Does the film look cloudy when dry as well? If so, incomplete fixing is likely to be part of the problem.

However, looking at the pattern of unevenness, I'd personally say that tray size likely contributes to the problem as well. The edges are overall more developed than the center, which is what I've experienced many times working with xray film in trays that were too small.

You should be washing your film after the Fixer Remover step, did you leave it off the list of the processing steps accidentally or are you doing this? Are you processing one sheet at a time?

To help validate agitation, try continuous gentle agitation for the entire development time. My trays don't sit quite level on my bench and I get a gentle rocking motion by just pressong a corner of the tray every couple of seconds. I really think that insufficient agitation in too small of a tray is the best diagnosis. You've changed to a larger tray, now try more agitation and possibly using more developer solution. The negative should be completely covered all during development.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

>>>You should be washing your film after the Fixer Remover step, did you leave it off the list of the processing steps accidentally or are you doing this? Are you processing one sheet at a time?

Gary:

I am processing 1 sheet at a time. After the fixer I agitate for about a minute in a water bath before placing it into hypo for 3 mins. Then to photo flo and drying. That's been my pattern for a while. Ami I doing that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by emilediaz View Post
    >>>You should be washing your film after the Fixer Remover step, did you leave it off the list of the processing steps accidentally or are you doing this? Are you processing one sheet at a time?

Gary:

I am processing 1 sheet at a time. After the fixer I agitate for about a minute in a water bath before placing it into hypo for 3 mins. Then to photo flo and drying. That's been my pattern for a while. Ami I doing that wrong?
    Develop
    Stop
    Fix
    Rinse
    Hypo-clearing agent (not "hypo," hypo is another term for fixer)
    Wash in running water for 15-30 minutes
    Wetting agent (PhotoFlo)
    Hang to dry

Develop
    Stop
    Fix
    Rinse
    Wetting agent (PhotoFlo)
    Hang to dry
    Doremus:

You are clearly the expert here.

And so I really appreciate your input. I will redesign my workflow in the future.

However, for the present here's my issue: For the few hundred sheets of 4x5s and (not as many) of 8x10s I have done, I have never washed my negs for 15-30 minutes after Hypo-clearing. I was probably taught by people far less accomplished than yourself. However, I have never seen this particular issue that I am trying to get help with. Before I add another 15-30 minutes to my workflow (and I would immediately do that if I thought that were the cause of this present issue) I am trying to troubleshoot this problem that I do not think may be related to a lack of that wash. (Even though per your suggestion I will try that.)

What is throwing me off that despite my process lacking the 15-30 minute wash, I have not seen this issue before.

Thanks again.

Develop
    Stop
    Fix
    Rinse
    Wetting agent (PhotoFlo)
    Hang to dry
    Doremus:

You are clearly the expert here.

And so I really appreciate your input. I will redesign my workflow in the future.

However, for the present here's my issue: For the few hundred sheets of 4x5s and (not as many) of 8x10s I have done, I have never washed my negs for 15-30 minutes after Hypo-clearing. I was probably taught by people far less accomplished than yourself. However, I have never seen this particular issue that I am trying to get help with. Before I add another 15-30 minutes to my workflow (and I would immediately do that if I thought that were the cause of this present issue) I am trying to troubleshoot this problem that I do not think may be related to a lack of that wash. (Even though per your suggestion I will try that.)

What is throwing me off that despite my process lacking the 15-30 minute wash, I have not seen this issue before.

Thanks again.