Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My 4x5 set up for Hiking

Drew Wiley

Re: My 4x5 set up for Hiking

When my nephew went to do the first ascent of Escudo (the Shield) in Paine - twice as high as El Cap and 110 deg overhanging - I equipped him with a tiny little Pentax MX. It held up fine in those extreme conditions, but he didn't routinely change out the batteries like I told him to do, so underexposed the potentially best paying shots, of Andean condors flying all around them during the whole 20 days on the face. Still, North Face got what they financed him for, with their logo "accidentally" in the foreground somewhere in each published shot, on a jacket arm or porta-ledge fly, or whatever. Is that 400 EDIF the 645 version or the 67 model? I have the 6X7 300EDIF and love it. Once in awhile I use it with a Nikon adapter, but mainly for 6X7 per se. But I'm in the mood for 8x10 shooting now that I'm back from mtn outings for awhile.

The secret is to walk with a friend who is not a photographer, persuade that person to carry some of your gear in exchange for some prints.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

It's the 645 Version Drew. The 67 version sells used for about 4x what I paid for the 645 which I was surprised to find that they were priced so low - especially in the condition it came in. During the evening news yesterday the PO came and delivered the 300mm AF Nikkor ED lens that I ordered last Thursday morning before I left for work. When I returned from work that day I sent the seller an email to inquire if the 39mm clear drop-in filter was included but he replied that he couldn't check as the lens had already been shipped. I replied that if it wasn't present would he be able to supply one. He wrote back that it wasn't included with the lens but that he would send one if he ran into one in the future. Well a pristine L37c drop-in filter was in the holder AND a pristine 82mm L37c was mounted on the front element! The lens is mint in all respects and works flawlessly on my F6 and at $312 including shipping was a steal. Irohas Camera in Japan was the seller and I highly recommend them if in the market.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

It's amazing how fast Japanese dealers ship. Hmmm. I often tote a pair of P67's - one with the 300EDIF mounted to it, along with the special dual support block unifying the lens collar and camera body thread mount, and the other with a 75/4.5 lens on it. Both take 82mm filters. As the air calms and autumn gets into full swing, it's a nice combination for Pt Reyes with its winter wildlife abundance. I'm not patient enough to be a serious wildlife photographer - even taking pictures of cattle or deer suffices for me. On my last morning of backpacking in Wyoming we encountered a large moose just a few yards away, below the trail. My friend pulled out his digi camera and went to work. It ignored us for awhile, but then gave us a distinct annoyed look that made me say, "I think we better move on". My friend remarked, "We're the paparazzi". I wasn't about to set up the view camera. Moose need to be respected.

Currently I am using a 75liter Osprey that opens 3/4 of the way as a panel loader. I carry 3 lenses, 6-10 film holders, meter, etc. When I put it into the pack I have a ton of room leftover. I am going to switch over to the https://seekoutside.com/exposure-500...ding-backpack/ backpack. It is a more suited to carrying the XL ICU. If I get a chance, I will show what it looks like in the current backpack. I am looking at getting the Chamonix 45N-2 although my current camera really doesn't take up that much room, but I would prefer a camera that folds up smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I am genuinely interested to see packs, load-outs, and general setups for anyone actually seriously backpacking (more than day-hiking, and long distance) with their LF gear, especially 8x10 or larger. I know Vaughn does, and he mentioned his weight recently, and he has the photos to "back" it up. If you have photos to share showing others' setup, that's fine - links or actual photos. Not interested in your bluster, I'm not wasting anymore time with that. And your name-calling is noted.

CB and I have talked at length about some options for carrying a big pack with room for both camp gear and photo gear, safely and within good practices for weight. I don't have anything significant to add as I am not an expert, but I have shown photos here with my 50+ pound pack that I've camped with, along with my 4x5 gear, and my ~35lb day-hike bag, so I've got actual experience on record. I am still looking for the right pack for me personally. I have identified a couple of long (3-5 day) back-country trips I'd like to pursue next year and perhaps will go bigger/longer.
    Check out Alex Burke's website. He has a blog on backpacking. That is all he does with 4x5 camera, day after day, week after week.

https://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/...x5-2018-update

I know Alex and I have spoken with him over email a few times.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Cool. I have as well. My fall colors trip is going to be in Crested Butte, CO. Next week I hope. So a small camping trip. But I won't have my new pack yet and I am still forced to use the brick toyo 4x5

Backpack is a ThinkTank Airport Antidote V2.0. Inside the backpack: folded up 4x5 Chamonix rests on a wide angle bellows in a padded pouch. Lenses most likely carried: 65mm Nikkor-SW, 125mm Fujinon-W, 210mm Fujinon-W, 300mm Komura tele, and a 500mm Komura tele. 45 degree reflex finder. Horseman 45 or Pentax spotmeter. Two pouches inside the pack used to carry a lot of small items. In the front of the pack: focusing cloth if taken, bottle of water, and more. 6 4x5 film holders inside a f.64 padded pouch attached to one shoulder strap. Rain cover inside pocket on top of the backpack. Tripod can be attached to the backpack if the trail is challenging, but usually I just carry it in my hand. I used to carry everything in a Lowepro Photo Trekker CLASSIC backpack, but switched to the ThinkTank which is smaller in size and easier to carry on my back especially when bushwhacking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x5backpack.jpg  

Drew Wiley

Redundant comment by now. I've omitted it.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 11-Oct-2019 at 10:40.