Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 4x5 set up for Hiking

Re: My 4x5 set up for Hiking

Well, I just don't believe you, sorry. Ignore away!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Drew Wiley

This is the West, Corran. Lots of people in my own neighborhood do this kind of thing routinely. If I thought you were sincere, there are lots of digi snaps by companions of me lugging packs & shooting LF gear in the mtns, including by companions who are well known world-class mountaineers. But if you're simply too uninitiated to even begin to understand the basic outdoor dialog, I'm not going to waste any time on you.

Drew Wiley

This is the West, Corran. We have 14,000 ft peaks just half a day's drive away. Lots of people in my own neighborhood do this kind of thing routinely. Nobody around here would consider it exceptional, even at my age.If I thought you were sincere, there are lots of digi as well as film snaps by companions of me lugging packs & shooting LF gear in the mtns, including by companions who are well known world-class mountaineers. I could have sent you some. But if you're simply too uninitiated or xenophobic to even begin to understand the basic outdoor dialog, I'm not going to waste any time on you.

I am genuinely interested to see packs, load-outs, and general setups for anyone actually seriously backpacking (more than day-hiking, and long distance) with their LF gear, especially 8x10 or larger. I know Vaughn does, and he mentioned his weight recently, and he has the photos to "back" it up. If you have photos to share showing others' setup, that's fine - links or actual photos. Not interested in your bluster, I'm not wasting anymore time with that. And your name-calling is noted.

CB and I have talked at length about some options for carrying a big pack with room for both camp gear and photo gear, safely and within good practices for weight. I don't have anything significant to add as I am not an expert, but I have shown photos here with my 50+ pound pack that I've camped with, along with my 4x5 gear, and my ~35lb day-hike bag, so I've got actual experience on record. I am still looking for the right pack for me personally. I have identified a couple of long (3-5 day) back-country trips I'd like to pursue next year and perhaps will go bigger/longer.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Photographer

Hell, I’d just like to see a photo of Drew!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Drew, please post a photo of your pack and loadout for us to see, I'm certainly very interested to see what you bring when camping for longer periods of time and how you fit an 8x10 setup. Thanks. I'm looking at upgrading my ultralight gear setup so I'm sure it'll be instructive.
    Keith Pitman

Drew Wiley

Well, if you don't mind me in my porcupine look, I'll see what I can scrounge up. Don't expect a big Yeti like Vaughn Hutchings. But it would have to be sent snail mail. If certain websters don't accept my word itself as good enough, then they can just stay in their own little Hobbit world as far as I'm concerned. Corran himself dredged up remnants of my old website with thumbails of mtn shots still on it. I don't know why he can't put two and two together and chooses to insinuate I'm a liar. There are some quite remote locations involved, just a tiny selection from hundreds of trips. How the heck did I get myself and my Sinar LF gear there to begin with without a huge pack? I have whole stacks of big packs, some loaded, some empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Protect those film holders! (from dust and broken dark slides)
    I learned that broken dark slides, can cut you pretty bad. Don't ask how, other than it involved a Deardorff that was too heavy, an unreliable tripod head and barely saving the camera and almost losing my finger in the process on the broken dark slide. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    But I'm now in the process of learning how to be a little more lazy each year.
    +1.

As for monster loads at altitude, I suppose having the EPAS1 gene and a tump line wouldn't hurt either. FWIW, the coureurs de bois would take that approach on their portages with some ungodly weight, though most ended up like NFL running backs...herniated and otherwise busted-up by their early 30's. (Not a few of them managed to fetch up in the villages of the Pays d'en Haut though and spend the rest of their days producing little metis and metisses, so there was some compensation....)

Drew Wiley

Well, there are some people who shouldn't carry a heavy pack at all due to back issues. Others, like me, have done it our entire adult lives, though I have to wear very expensive custom boots due to having bad feet. Leki trekking poles with shock-absorbing springs have protected my knees.

Drew Wiley

I took some casual cell phone snaps of my own pack system, but might have to wait till my wife is back from work to figure out how to post them.