Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 4x5 set up for Hiking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My 4x5 set up for Hiking

Got the F-stoppers XL bag insert. All my gear in it with 6 film holders and three lenses plus extra film and I am at 18 pounds. And tripod and head, 22 lbs. Respectable. That leaves lots of weight to carry actual camp/hiking gear. Gonna try this back pack for insert.

https://seekoutside.com/exposure-500...ding-backpack/

I have 2 other bags but one is too small and the other doesn't fully open up like one in link.

I will get a second F-stop ICU for my digital gear and swap them out of back pack depending on the goals for that particular outting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E046CF98-BF06-4F41-85C9-7F7FB1F46BBD.jpg   AD4C8F89-A210-48A4-BAF9-E5F895E54A54.jpg  

Re: My 4x5 set up for Hiking

I'm interested to see how that works out for you Steven, especially the backpack.

Same basic setup I use with the F-Stop ICU, I also use the F-Stop Sukha. I use the large ICU with my 4x5, but for my Mamiya RZ and it's gigantic lenses, I have to use the XL ICU :O Everything fits great, love that back pack. I'm not however using it for overnight trips, so I just need to carry a minimal amount of food and water. And for that purpose, it's the best back pack for day trips with my 4x5 that I have ever used.

Protect those film holders! (from dust and broken dark slides)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Protect those film holders! (from dust and broken dark slides)
    I learned that broken dark slides, can cut you pretty bad. Don't ask how, other than it involved a Deardorff that was too heavy, an unreliable tripod head and barely saving the camera and almost losing my finger in the process on the broken dark slide. Ouch.

I, too, use a similar F-Stop ICU for one of my 4x5 outfits, though film holders are carried separately. The ICU fits perfectly into a photobackpacker P-series backpack which I also interchange out for my 8x10 outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Gonna try this back pack for insert.
    Very cool--it looks as if SeekOutside has really taken off...the last time they were on my radar they were mostly known for their single wall shelters. FWIW, I'd definitely try to make a trip up to Grand Junction with all my gear before settling on a pack, though--I'm thinking 5000 cu in is going to lock you in to a pretty minimalist 3-season loadout--one of the "expedition" sized roll top bags might be more versatile, since even the toploaders seem to have side-zip access.

The XL ICU seems rather inefficient use of space But I am guessing you are limited since the camera does not fold. Can you put the extra film flat under the camera (or elsewhere) and move the spot meter to its spot? I would wrap those holders in something so they do not rub the camera, like a bandana or micro cloth towel. Or you might do better with 2-3 smaller ICUs, one for the camera one for holders and extra film, and one well divided for the lenses and accessories. For a multi-day trip it may be easier to pack around the ICUs until you get to camp site.

I considered a top loading and or partial opening packs with multiple ICUs but in the end, I like a system that open fully during a shot and I have everything I need in reach.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Drew Wiley

Try getting all your view camera supplies for a two-week trip into the same pack as two weeks worth of food, shelter, and all-weather clothing. That's a routine ritual for me, or, actually, a repetitive headache. We need gear we can just add water to and it will swell up to full size, just like freeze-dried food.... Well, maybe not the coat and sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    We need gear we can just add water to and it will swell up to full size, just like freeze-dried food....
    LOL! This reminds me of something Jerry Uelsmann said many years ago... He wanted the industry to be working on a 35mm size negative that swelled up to 4x5 upon processing. Works for me...