Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tray developing: which timer?

Re: tray developing: which timer?

I don't use a timer, but shuffle 6 sheets constantly, slowly. I rotated each cycle by 90 degrees and once i've made a full circle change where I'm grabbing the film from the top. I just count the full cycles and know from habit to always stop at the same spot...

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Although I generally rotary process or process 35mm by hand inversion, I have tray processed film. When I do I set the trays up in a Rubbermaid chemical resistant cart which I use for processing prints. The cart has two shelves and on the lower shelf I place my ET500 enlarger timer and set the illumination level to low. The lower shelf is invisible to the trays on the top but some red light will bounce off the walls which is why I use the low setting although the tray walls will block most if not all of that. I replaced my Greylab 300 with a Greylab 900 timer and would use that as it counts up as well as down.

Thomas

I use a talking timer when doing tray developing. The buttons are easy enough to use in the dark as well. Got it off Amzon for about $10.

Ive been wanting a pair of those night vision goggles for a long time. Im sure that would make life much easier in total darkness, and help with loading holders too.

I keep my timer facing away from the trays where I can see it but the film can't. Seeing on how I've configured the WC into my darkroom, this might mean hiding it in a box or on a shelf. What is important is not having anything that will reflect the glow into the view of a tray.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I use a zone vi with a footswitch and another footswitch to operate a dark green filter for develop by inspection
    So much fun!!

I use an RH Systems Process timer mounted on a wall at a right-angle to the sink so the film can't see the dimmed red LED's.

It beeps every 30 seconds and for the last 10 seconds of each timed process triggered by the footswitch with some glow-tape fitted so i can see it on the floor in the dark.

I also have a couple of Junghans darkroom clocks which have luminous hands and marks, though being in the dark, the fluorescence doesn't last long.

It doesn't stop me producing crap, but it's well timed crap

Mike

I looked for a Gralab, but they seem to be sold only in the USA. I thought about one of the light-tight trays, but eventually I've bought a timer. This one Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hanhart-cronometro-mesotron-analogico.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	192645 which is available in Europe and has hands that glow in the dark. Thanks everybody for your help.
    Luigi