Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Large Can I Print a 4x5 Drum-Scanned Negative Before The Resolution Degrades?

Re: How Large Can I Print a 4x5 Drum-Scanned Negative Before The Resolution Degrades?

My wife Marcia did the image wrangling on this project: https://acpinfo.org/blog/2019/02/06/...-avedon-mural/ so I would say "pretty large".
    One of the images is from a scan of an Avedon 8x10 and the other is a MF digital image by Sheila Pree Bright. We were discussing the project and the subject of pixel dimensions came up. I wrote a little spreadsheet to figure out the pixel dimensions needed when you print large images and it's based on the eye being able to resolve about 1 arc second. Happy to share the spreadsheet if any interest. bglick wrote some informative posts a while back that might be of interest.

Drew Wiley

Re: How Large Can I Print a 4x5 Drum-Scanned Negative Before The Resolution Degrades?

Weren't many of Avedon's shots on gritty ole Tri-X to begin with? It suited his obnoxious brash style when blown up too big - but esthetic opinions aside, most films today are capable of significantly more detail. The specific Avedon image in question is relatively tame for him, but I'd imagine that the choice of film was similar. (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Weren't many of Avedon's shots on gritty ole Tri-X to begin with? It suited his obnoxious brash style when blown up too big - but esthetic opinions aside, most films today are capable of significantly more detail. The specific Avedon image in question is relatively tame for him, but I'd imagine that the choice of film was similar. (?)
    The notch code appears visible, though without obsessive research I'd agree it's probably TXT. And likely processed to a pretty high CI in something fine-grained - have read that in the 50's it was 777, 90's D-76.

multiplex

manfrominternet
    A couple of years ago I had a pair of smaller-than 4x5 hand painted paper prints flat bed scanned ( my own epson 4870 ) and a client bought them as 4 4'x6' panels. Originally I was going to use a different vendor and have them printed as a pair of 8'x6' panels, but the client decided they wanted pairs of diptychs. No issues, even with a flat bed scanner. No photoshop masking, unmasking or crazy stuff, just barely a bit of levels and bim-skala-bim. I don't think you will have trouble with your über high end scanning. Good luck with your project!

Drew Wiley

Thanks. Avedon seemed to aim for a journalistic look even in 8x10 usage. But for some white sheet projects he went to an almost soot and chalk gritty extreme which gave those portraits a graphic cookie-cutter effect which some people find brilliant, but repel me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Thanks. Avedon seemed to aim for a journalistic look even in 8x10 usage. But for some white sheet projects he went to an almost soot and chalk gritty extreme which gave those portraits a graphic cookie-cutter effect which some people find brilliant, but repel me.
    Had a quick check, the only film the code matches from the time is...

Royal-X Pan!

At least from what I can dig up it was definitely available in 8x10 in the correct time period.

Drew Wiley

Garsh. Even grainier!