Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focusing Cloth r

Lascassas, TN

Focusing Cloth r

MTSU is offering a Large Format class this fall. In prepping the equipment it seems most of the focusing cloths has vanished. In an effort to save money for film, we would like to make some ourselves.

The horse blanket design with weighted corners seems to be the easiest to make, double sided, white and black. What material is best? Does Duvetyne work? Is something better or cheaper? What is your experience?

Thanks
    Bill Kumpf

Re: Focusing Cloth r

My 5x8' cloth is made with a white damness repellent outside and a black satin inside. Weights along the edges. The stanis nice because it allows me to move under the cloth without movingit.

Mine is white Gortex lightweight nylon outside, black inside. I don't like weights in the corners; too dangerous in windy conditions. They can break ground glass and leave a nasty bruise. My cloth has Velcro on the edges so it seals up well under the camera blocking light from below.

If you buy material in bulk, you can likely make a lot of cloths for cheap.

Best,

Doremus

Mine is an old Zone VI canvas dark cloth that I bought in the 80's. White on one side, black on the other, weights in the corners. It's heavy, it doesn't really stay in place when I'm using it but I've never had any problems with the weights banging into things. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with something light weight instead of canvas.

No one has a heavy black T-shirt?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The problem with duvetyne is that it doesn't breathe particularly well (I've used it in a pinch and hated it). If you're doing two layers, a heavy cotton broadcloth should be okay, maybe even a light canvas.

I find velcro to be fiddly but I really like what Wanderer Photogear has done with the adjustable elastic cinch on their dark cloths. It makes attachment a relative breeze, but sewing the sleeve for it may add some complexity and expense.

The XXXL black t-shirt idea is definitely easy and cheap, but I've never been a big fan. YMMV.

-Andrew

A black t-shirt inside of a white t-shirt (inside dark/outside heat reflective), a draw-cord sewn into the larger circumference to cinch around the camera and quick-release prior to making the image (mitigates possible wind-induced movements) and an elastic sewn over the head-hole, which when stretched over the users head allows for head movements so screen can be viewed from various angles, user wearing 4x closeup glasses. And, very important...the users mouth and nose are outside of the hood while using - preventing condensation on the ground glass.

Mind you....I have not yet fabricated the above - but it will be the cat's pajamas...I can feel it!

...suddenly feeling sad, realizing that Bruce Barlow will not be chiming in on this.

When I was teaching at the college the provided dark cloths weer smaller than I liked. I found a place which sold cheap T-shirts ad suggested each person buy their own, Even though we still furnished the too small one most bought their own T-shirt, or already had one and were pleased to do so.

t-shirt huh, could someone post a picture of this in action? I'm not sure I am visualizing it properly. Or I could stop being lazy and set up my 8x10 and grab a t or two..;-0