Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: replacement pad for Seal masterpiece 500 Dry Mount Press?

Re: replacement pad for Seal masterpiece 500 Dry Mount Press?

Look up what a new 500 sells for now...

Look for Ejection Rubber,
    Tin Can

felt carpet under pads...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=felt+carp...l_65rn759zin_b

you can find small pieces at carpet outlets or ask an installer for scraps.

Drew Wiley

I'd be spooked by something outgassing from carpet padding under heat that might be quite bad for either prints or human health. For example, there might be fire retardants, which do not equate to heat resistance per se. They might deliberately release with heat. You might not be able to find out the exact composition of the material. It will likely be a blend of recycled materials potentially including vinyls, which badly outgas or melt, as well as types of foam rubber which might degenerate under heat. Not a good idea. In the case of felt padding, besides being quite uneven in thickness, there are still unknowns about additives and performance under repeated heating. I sure wouldn't gamble my prints and expensive mounting boards using an unknown material. You could go to a source like McMaster and obtain pure silicone foam padding along with precise specifications, and perhaps save some money on at least smaller sizes. But you'd still need some kind of liner material and cross-compatible silicone adhesive.

Drew Wiley

Ha! ... I've done quite well haggling over the years, especially if some outfit had a box on a shelf collecting dust they'd like to make a least a little money on. But sometimes these list prices represent what they'd need to charge today because they don't even have it in stock. That kind of sales model on peripheral products is quite common. Most serious picture frame moulding companies do keep Seal/DK products in stock. BUT they want wiggle room to discount certain things as an incentive to steady customers. Others have a policy of selling equipment to do-it-yourself frames, but not mouldings or matboards, to prevent you from competing with their storefront customers who make routine purchases and have to deal with overhead. Policies differ. But it never hurts to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I'd be spooked by something outgassing from carpet padding under heat that might be quite bad for either prints or human health. For example, there might be fire retardants, which do not equate to heat resistance per se. They might deliberately release with heat. You might not be able to find out the exact composition of the material. It will likely be a blend of recycled materials potentially including vinyls, which badly outgas or melt, as well as types of foam rubber which might degenerate under heat. Not a good idea. In the case of felt padding, besides being quite uneven in thickness, there are still unknowns about additives and performance under repeated heating. I sure wouldn't gamble my prints and expensive mounting boards using an unknown material. You could go to a source like McMaster and obtain pure silicone foam padding along with precise specifications, and perhaps save some money on at least smaller sizes. But you'd still need some kind of liner material and cross-compatible silicone adhesive.
    obviously you dont know what felt is. its wool. ive been using felt replacements for over 50 years in a couple presses with no ill effects or outgassing except when ive eatten beans!

I personally think it is best to just figure out how to buy the correct pad, but would like to add that not all felt is made from wool. It can be produced from synthetic fibers which I assume would be adversely affected by heat.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Drew Wiley

No. I have no idea what wool or felt is. I forgot to ask the 500 acres of sheep right across the road from our property. I just assumed they went to the barber seasonally for sake of style, just like poodles, though the dogs we used for cattle and sheep drives were Aussies, who didn't care much about hairstyle. Hmm.. the saddle pads were felt. Do I want that for drymounting? I don't think so. I'm satisfied with the official pad. That way I don't have to get involved in discussions about lanolin and so forth.

seems replacement pads do use felt as a top layer but what do i know being a city slicker?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ponge_pad.html

url]https://www.adorama.com/se210mf.html[/url]

but if you prefer the big city smell of a new jersey tire factory toxic waste rubber pad, go for it. maybe you should have used google instead of asking for alternatives from experianced users here.

your pad is quite expensive.
    Last edited by Paul Ron; 23-Jul-2019 at 07:06.

Drew Wiley

There is more than one kind of felt, just like there are many kinds of sponge rubber. I have sponge pads for my pin-registered contact printers that are pure silicone. That kind of material actually is expensive. I thought old tires in Joisey were used for sinking goodfellas in the harbor. You can't afford an official pad? Fine. I can't afford to gamble with museum board costing far more per carton than one of those official pads. I already have a new Seal pad for my 500T in reserve. I paid a hundred bucks for it; and it's not me asking.