Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: In Memory of Bruce Barlow

Re: In Memory of Bruce Barlow

This is sad news. Although I never met Bruce, for many years I have been treated to his informed thoughts on photography and life. He spoke with honesty, sharing his thoughts with those having a similar love for photography. Bruce will be missed.

My condolences to his family and friends.

I had the honor of knowing Bruce for over ten years, first as a participant in some of the Finely Focused workshops and then in the occasional photo adventures. He was always fun to be around and had a great sense of humor. I learned a great deal about large format photography from him. I will miss him greatly.

The last time I spoke with Bruce was at a wonderful gathering at Ted Harris' new studio in Etna, NH. Lots of great folks present with work to share. Richard Ritter with some of his amazing cameras, myself and Gary Sampson each with a cadre of our students in tow. Ted was so very excited about his new place...and I was crushed to get a call from Paul Wainwright just the next day - that Ted had died suddenly in the night.

(Correction...of course it was at Ted's memorial when I last saw Bruce)

I did not know Bruce well...but there was something very "zen" about him (and he had a great sense of humor and irony) - but also an underlying intensity that I think revealed something about his complete dedication to his art and craft (and a well honed "BS meter.") And he was indeed both artist and craftsman - knowing well, and sharing in so many ways, that one cannot exist without the other.

Happy Trails Bruce...we will miss you!
    Last edited by John Layton; 12-Jun-2019 at 05:52.

Funny, just last night as I always do when using the bathroom,. I grab an old issue of View Camera magazine. In this one was an article by Bruce about his first impression of Richard Ritters new 8x10 camera! I enjoyed his incitfullness and thoughts on Richard's newest creation. I bought one long ago!
    Terry

I will miss Bruce's presence here and his sage advice. May he rest in peace.

I'll miss Bruce's posts here, always thoughtful and constructive.

One consolation – his spirit will live on here, as does the spirit of Ted Harris and many others.

It's comforting to think that future forum members, who haven't even joined yet, will learn and grow from what Bruce shared, just as the rest of us have.

-----
    A favorite remark by Bruce, from a 2014 thread:

"1. Before making the picture you have framed, turn around and look behind you. There's probably a better one there.

2. When you start out photographing for the day, look at your watch, and after exactly 5 minutes, stop and make the best picture that you can, even if it's not wonderful. You'll see more and better pictures for the rest of the day."

So very sad to hear.
    Never met him in person, but we had communicated via email.
    He helped me be a better & more committed photographer.
    So sorry I never made it to see him in Maine.
    His thoughts will live within us & his influence will be felt going forward.

Evan's message is touching and deep. It reflects well on him and his late father. My condolences to Bruce's friends and loved ones.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

I attended one of Bruce’s Finely Focused workshops in NH a few years back, loved every minute, and was very impressed with his knowledge and enthusiasm of large format. Taught me a lot, also met Richard and saw his impressive cameras. Their imparting of their combined experience was so motivational. A humerous raconteur, I recall Bruce made us all laugh at his lovely home telling the story of Evan’s motorbike being taken apart by friends and re-assembled on the porch roof overnight! Bruce really achieved something in his work, and has left a legacy useful for other photographers. Plus being a good’un!

Eric Biggerstaff

So sorry to learn of his passing, condolences to his family.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com