Thread: Pyrocat-HD: How long a dev time before using 2 baths?

Pyrocat-HD: How long a dev time before using 2 baths?

Hi all,

A quick question:

I’m shooting a box of Pancro 400 which requires quite long development times in Pyrocat-HD, even mixed 2:2:100. At this dilution, 21deg, using a Jobo 3005 expert drum loaded with 5 sheets of 8x10” at 40RPM I’m getting a standard or N dev time of between 14 and 16 min (I’m still tweaking but 14 looks a little weak...)

Because of the somewhat extended time and rotary process, I’m wondering if people would suggest a benefit in splitting the developing stage into two baths, draining and refilling at the halfway mark?

I’m asking because I suspect this would help with oxidisation and potentially reduce general stain, while at the same time helping gain getter density / contrast.

As a rule of thumb, how long a dev time before people split the developing stage with HD mixed 2:2:100?

Thanks!

T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Pyrocat-HD: How long a dev time before using 2 baths?

Just check it, split an unexposed 4x5 sheet and make the change at 25%, 50% and 75% time, develop the 4th strip regular.

Probably you won't see much a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    Hi all,

A quick question:

I’m shooting a box of Pancro 400 which requires quite long development times in Pyrocat-HD, even mixed 2:2:100. At this dilution, 21deg, using a Jobo 3005 expert drum loaded with 5 sheets of 8x10” at 40RPM I’m getting a standard or N dev time of between 14 and 16 min (I’m still tweaking but 14 looks a little weak...)

Because of the somewhat extended time and rotary process, I’m wondering if people would suggest a benefit in splitting the developing stage into two baths, draining and refilling at the halfway mark?

I’m asking because I suspect this would help with oxidisation and potentially reduce general stain, while at the same time helping gain getter density / contrast.

As a rule of thumb, how long a dev time before people split the developing stage with HD mixed 2:2:100?

Thanks!

T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Tim

I do this for every run , I have found my normal is 14 min , my Drop is 12 and my push is 16 .. in all these cases I cut the time and half and use two fresh 1 litre devs.

Are you using the maximum amount in the tube? If not, the developer may be exhausting. The amount written on the tube may not be sufficient for 5 sheets. With some developers, I process only 3 sheets at a time because of this.

How will you be printing your negs?

Thanks Jim,

I'm using the full capacity of 1L and mixing the developer at double strength, i.e. 2:2:100 vs. standard 1:1:100. This has given me perfect negatives with HP5+, but the dev time is only 10min for this film. With a 14-16min dev time for Pancro, I'm concerned it might exhaust due to oxidisation. In any event, as Bob suggests, I might split the time in two with fresh dev regardless. It can't hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Are you using the maximum amount in the tube? If not, the developer may be exhausting. The amount written on the tube may not be sufficient for 5 sheets. With some developers, I process only 3 sheets at a time because of this.

In the first instance, I'll be printing on VC papers. Later on I plan to make platinum and / or carbon prints (I'll need to learn that process first!)

Pancro is a strange film in that it requires extra-long times compared to other films, supposedly due to the kind of anti-halation layer they've used.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    How will you be printing your negs?

One liter supplies only 200 ml per sheet of 8x10, barely enough. I filled up mine , capped it and laid it on the side to see how much it will hold. The excess ran out and I measured the remainder to get my answer.I don't have the note with me right now, but it is significantly more than one liter which I now use if processing 5 sheets.
    Last edited by Jim Noel; 10-Jun-2019 at 13:39. Reason: grammatical error

The issue is load capacity of the Jobo motor. 1L is max recommended load with the 3005 drum.

In any event, that is why I’m using the 2:2:100 dilution, rather than the usual 1:1:100. No problems with HP5+, but then that’s only for 10mins. My feeling is that 14mins will be pushing it to exhaustion and I think as this thread seems to confirm, two stages of developer will most likely give better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    One liter supplies only 200 ml per sheet of 8x10, barely enough. I filled up mine , capped it and laid it on the side to see how much it will hold. The excess ran out and I measured the remainder to get my answer.I don't have the note with me right now, but it is significantly more than one liter which I now use if processing 5 sheets.

Fewer sheets in the jobo might help or a switch to a different version of Pyrcat like MC.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography