Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jobo Expert Drum versus 2500 drum + 2509N Reel

Re: Jobo Expert Drum versus 2500 drum + 2509N Reel

I use the 2520 with 2509n reel all the time, being my first and only method so far. I'm relatively new to LF and absolutely new to film development in general.
    I also load the reel in a cheap changing bag, so you might have an advantage if you use a tent or a proper darkroom.
    Nonetheless I don't really have any problems loading up the reel, it's a matter of practice and by the second try you shouldn't be struggling, really.
    I tend to use my left thumb to spot the guidelines on the top, starting for the inner, and my right hand to handle the film and push it inside.
    I'm really not sure whether the 2520 can be used with the CPE-3 processor or not.

I also had considered the drum expert but it was way too pricey. To be honest, Jobo products seem to be way to expensive for what they are, basically plastic cilinders and reels. But they get the job done so yeah...

Yeah, I bought my Jobo stuff back in the mid-1990s. It was expensive then, but not near as bad as today. The reels are about $70 a piece. I'll pick up one to start.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have used both systems and although loading the 2509n reels is not hard I have had some odd processing artefacts (eg chemical swirls?) using this method. I never conclusively solved it. I have had consistently even results with the Expert drums but I agree that the price can be hard to justify.

Hey, Phil. That's what I'm most concerned with, and it's one of the reasons I haven't gone to deep tanks and hangers. Expert drums give very even results.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

No-one wants another "How do you process your film" thread, but in response to Phil's comments about processing artefacts, i suffered the same until i changed my routine.

Now, i prewash the film (in 2509n reels in a 2521 tank) at a high speed (marked P on my CPE2) for 5 minutes; but every minute or so, i lift the tank off the gears using the arm to about 30 degrees in order to force the pre-wash water to move forward towards the lid of the tank then return it back to the processor bed for the remaining time. Hopefully it helps break the laminar flow that can build up.

Just before i dump the pre-wash water, i reduce the rotation speed down to the "F" speed and carry out the same lifting manoeuvre for the developer cycle too, but obviously at the slower speed.

The only thing i haven't resolved is the odd mark on the emulsion where the film touches some small raised notches that are designed to keep the film off the track of the reel. Loading the film with the emulsion to the outside rather than the inside might help, but i suspect there are notches on both tracks of the reel.

Mike

Thanks for the tips, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I've used the 2509N reels in a 2500 drum for years without any problems except with hand inversion method beginning about a year or so after I bought the reels new. It seems that photoflo built up on the reels and interfered with the flow of the developer at the very edge of the sheet where the sheet fits into the reels side resulting in an undeveloped band appearing at that location. . I'm guessing on this but photoflo build-up is the only causation I can think of. In any event the problem disappeared when I started rotary processing with the reels. The photoflo problem could be avoided simply by removing the sheets from the reel and placing in a tray for the photoflo step instead of rolling the reel in a card file type container of photoflo as I did back then. Also, Jobo advises to add an empty reel (or two) if there is extra room on the core - something about improving/evening the flow of the chemistry. As Fred mentions above, the reels are a little tricky to load. If you search this forum I posted a step-by-step instruction on how I load the reels.

Thomas

Thomas
    Photo Flo is a Catalyst which builds up in the grooves of reels and will eventually causes this problem. Reels should never be put in this foul liquid. LFN does a better job and does not cause this problem. No, I do not have any connection to the provider of LFN

I don't ever use a surficant with films on reels. I always use a separate container with the film off any reels. For long rolls, I dip one end in the bath and then pull that end up, while lowering the other end.