Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobo Expert Drum versus 2500 drum + 2509N Reel

Jobo Expert Drum versus 2500 drum + 2509N Reel

I've used a 5x7 Jobo Expert drum for many years on my CPP-2, but lately I've started to develop more film, and I'd like to up my capacity. The 10-sheet Expert Drum is a bit too pricey for me. Since I already have some 2500 series print drum, I've thought about adding two 2509N reels, which hold 6 sheet each. I could put them in the proper drum to do 12 at a time. Does anyone here use the 2509n reels? How happy are you with them?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Jobo Expert Drum versus 2500 drum + 2509N Reel

I have those reels, but don't use them very often as I prefer the expert drums tbh. Picked up my drums over the years when deals came up, so keep your eyes peeled. But if you already have the tanks and just need the reels, that would be the way less expensive option. Good luck !

Takes some time to get used to loading them properly, and to seat the wings as well.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I've used the 2509N reels in a 2500 drum for years without any problems except with hand inversion method beginning about a year or so after I bought the reels new. It seems that photoflo built up on the reels and interfered with the flow of the developer at the very edge of the sheet where the sheet fits into the reels side resulting in an undeveloped band appearing at that location. . I'm guessing on this but photoflo build-up is the only causation I can think of. In any event the problem disappeared when I started rotary processing with the reels. The photoflo problem could be avoided simply by removing the sheets from the reel and placing in a tray for the photoflo step instead of rolling the reel in a card file type container of photoflo as I did back then. Also, Jobo advises to add an empty reel (or two) if there is extra room on the core - something about improving/evening the flow of the chemistry. As Fred mentions above, the reels are a little tricky to load. If you search this forum I posted a step-by-step instruction on how I load the reels.

Thomas

Thomas

Thanks, Guys.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I use my 2500 drums and 2509n reels for rotary processing all the time.

Like you, i struggle to justify paying the price of the Expert drums.

There is a sheet film loader for the 2509 reels, but i've never found the need for it.

To use a 2000 series print drum with two 2509 reels, you'd need a long centre core too to make sure there are no leaks from the lid and to keep the reels central.

I've thought of taking the same approach myself, but never got round to it.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

If you do give the twin 2509 reel in a print drum a try, let us know, i'd be very interested in your results.

Mike

Will do. I just realized that I could alternately use my 8x10 Expert drum. Putting two 4x5" negs in each slot shouldn't be a big deal. That'd give me 10 at a time.

I've got expert drums and the reels. I am not a professional so I'm in no hurry. I actually prefer the 2509n reels. I've got a mountain of this stuff. I use the loader and IR goggles because it's all cool. The reels you can process 18 sheets at a go, washing is so easy. Expert drums are awesome don't get me wrong. But so expensive.

Like some of the earlier postings I used a 2500 drum plus 2509n reel. I do not have the 4x5 wings nor do I use a loader.

I sometimes have hassles loading paper negatives into the reel - [maybe I cut the paper a bit too narrow or too wide].

Generally the 2500 + 2509n works for me - Also it is very economical with chemicals and the film/paper can be processed in daylight - no need for a darkroom etc.

The downside, if any, is that you cannot observe the developing stage of the paper/film.

Regards
    Tony