Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 8x10 photography and diffraction

Re: 8x10 photography and diffraction

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Who in the world would 'seriously' enlarge a contact print?
    You took the words right out of my mouth. If and when I run into a problem with film "popping" in some way shape or form I at least know what my options are. Until then it is one less thing to be concerned about.

Drew Wiley

I for one might print the same negative as both a contact and an enlargement. If all you intend to do is contact print, fine; but if otherwise, you've painted yourself into corner. But its all relative. I rarely worry about good stiff black and white 8x10 film (the largest format I personally use) because I rarely make black and white prints larger than 20x24 - a modest enlargement. But color film is a different topic. Not only might I enlarge it bigger, but for awhile all I could get is triacetate film base, which is way more susceptible tio sagging than Estar base.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I for one might print the same negative as both a contact and an enlargement. If all you intend to do is contact print, fine; but if otherwise, you've painted yourself into corner. But its all relative. I rarely worry about good stiff black and white 8x10 film (the largest format I personally use) because I rarely make black and white prints larger than 20x24 - a modest enlargement. But color film is a different topic. Not only might I enlarge it bigger, but for awhile all I could get is triacetate film base, which is way more susceptible tio sagging than Estar base.
    Well that for me is a game changer because I have never exposed a sheet of 8x10 color film in my 8x10 cameras - only B&W and yes, it is pretty stiff.

Drew Wiley

For at least a decade both Fuji and Kodak were coating chrome sheet film on acetate. What a headache! Filmholder issues were just the tip of the iceberg. I was printing one of those two days ago, a truly exceptional 8x10 shot, but which required multiple masking steps. Acetate isn't dimensionally stable and registration gets out of whack with humidity changes. Fortunately, Fuji finally came out with Astia 100F on polyester base at the right point in the ongoing battle, and I used it to generate a master printing duplicate, and more recently a contact interneg from new Kodak estar-based sheet film. It has a few minor misregistration issues which someone nitpicky might spot in the 30x40 inch scale, but overall it's still quite a bit more seamless and convincing than any scanned and digi manipulated version would be.