Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What camera to shoot with out in the field when using HEAVY lenses?

What camera to shoot with out in the field when using HEAVY lenses?

I am wondering what is everybody using when they are shooting outside using a heavy brass lens? I currently have 2 studio cameras and they work fine for my CC Harrison and Voigtländer but I don’t think those lenses would work on most field cameras due to weight of lens and size of lens flange. I wouldn’t mind carrying the studio camera outside but what a pain in the A$$ trying to find something to set it up on, level, etc...... any thoughts or pictured of your setups with these heavy lenses

Foamer

Re: What camera to shoot with out in the field when using HEAVY lenses?

I have a c.1925 GUndlach Korona 5x7 (plus 4x5 back) that I use for my 12 in. Voightlander Petzval (5 pounds) and other large pre-Civil War lenses. It works well. It's a collapsible field camera design.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

A sturdy monorail camera with a long enough monorail to build an xtra support for the lens, something that helps support the lens by resting between the bottom of the lens and the monorail. Or if you're not using movements, build a dedicated box camera.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

If you're doing 5x7 or 8x10, look for a Burke and James Rembrandt. 8x10 is not that common, but they are out there. Studio camera front, field camera back, goes on a tripod. Here's mine with a B&L Sigmar (big triplet) plus speed graphic shutter.

sigmaroutdoors by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

For 4x5, I use a speedgraphic preanniversary. The anniversary and preanniversary have less front standard adjustment and bigger lensboard than the later pacemaker and super models. I use Aero Ektar and a 9" f/4 soft focus glass on it.

Peter's suggestion is good. Another approach that I used was a Manfrotto super clamp on the leading tripod leg with an adjustable-length arm and a 'Y' shaped cradle under the heavy lens (a #7 Voightlander Euryscop). The telescoping rod permits rise/fall and to a lesser extent swing and shift. I can elaborate if you wish.

In an early, rather desperate attempt to support a heavy lens on a weak front standard, I tried this. Don't do the same. It's a b*tch in the field.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	standw.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	192202

Les

Like the set up, Jason. I'd add that one can get one of those (Manfrotto ?) flex arms, attach it to the tripod and it it will support a heavier lens.

Les

Les

Ha ha, Jac....we wrote pretty much the same thing at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a chance to buy an older Kodak field camera with the large front standard and separate back extension. It definitely is not a lightweight camera, but I will be pulling all of my gear including pop up darkroom in a cart, so the weight doesn't bother me too much
    The bellows seem good and it comes with numerous 8x10 film holders and accessories. Would an older camera like that require any modifications to utilize a more modern tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Like the set up, Jason. I'd add that one can get one of those (Manfrotto ?) flex arms, attach it to the tripod and it it will support a heavier lens.

Les
    Les, I have the Manfrotto 237HD heavy duty flex arm, but never tried it! It is certainly stout enough. Thank you so much for the nudge!

OP - look into the above.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcsweeney View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have a chance to buy an older Kodak field camera ...

The bellows seem good and it comes with numerous 8x10 film holders and accessories. Would an older camera like that require any modifications to utilize a more modern tripod?
    Which Kodak camera, and it is almost certain it will work with a modern tripod. (I would be more concerned about bellows light leaks.)