Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Clean Your Lenses & Filters?

Re: How Do You Clean Your Lenses & Filters?

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    To clean filters I just run them under tap water and use a mild dish soap. For lenses I first use a rubber bulb to blow off any clinging grit, and then use a microfiber cloth GENTLY, wiping from center to edge. I never use filters for "protection." I use the lens caps instead. They won't break like a glass filter will.

Kent in SD
    Whatever works for you . . . My lenses never see fresh air when out of doors . . lens caps protect the filters . . . ..that seems to work for me.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Whatever works for you . . . My lenses never see fresh air when out of doors . . lens caps protect the filters . . . ..that seems to work for me.
    But one problem with view cameras is that the bellows is a dust catcher. You might leave a cap on the front to keep dust off the front of your lens filter but that won’t prevent dust on the rear lens group!

I like using CVS Lens Wipes. They are the individually wrapped microfiber wipes with isopropyl alcohol. I first started using them almost daily to clean my eyeglasses and after a year of continual use, my optometrist commented on how new my eyeglasses looked. So I began to use them on my camera lens and have been very pleased with the results. I had been using photographic microfiber cloths but kept getting getting cleaning wipe/scratches on my lens (yes I occasionally washed them). Since I went to these wipes I have not noticed any new wipe marks. I think they have just the right amount of alcohol on them and since you use a new one each time you are not worried about contamination. Sure they are individually wrapped. When in the field I just put the wrapper in my pocket or case until I get home or find a trash can. They are a little on the expensive side, but I feel worth it. This is my personal experience/opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by OKAROB View Post
    I like using CVS Lens Wipes. They are the individually wrapped microfiber wipes with isopropyl alcohol. I first started using them almost daily to clean my eyeglasses and after a year of continual use, my optometrist commented on how new my eyeglasses looked. So I began to use them on my camera lens and have been very pleased with the results. I had been using photographic microfiber cloths but kept getting getting cleaning wipe/scratches on my lens (yes I occasionally washed them). Since I went to these wipes I have not noticed any new wipe marks. I think they have just the right amount of alcohol on them and since you use a new one each time you are not worried about contamination. Sure they are individually wrapped. When in the field I just put the wrapper in my pocket or case until I get home or find a trash can. They are a little on the expensive side, but I feel worth it. This is my personal experience/opinion.
    Maybe you should tell CVS, they don’t seem to recommend them for cameras!

“...This product is safe for coated lenses. There is no need to re-wipe your lenses with a dry cloth, making these wipes great for on the go. You can also use them on ski goggles, swim goggles, mobile phones, wrist watch glass, and TV or computer screens (except for liquid crystal screens). With so many uses, you'll want to keep several handy throughout your home.”

“...Warnings
    For external use only.

Keep out of reach of children.

Do not use on eyes. Not for use with contact lenses or liquid crystal screens. Do not use on frames made of tortoise shell or gems. Do not use if rash or skin irritation is present. Do not use on lenses with scratched or damaged surfaces or with peeling or flaking coating. May cause deterioration of lenses. Flammable; keep away from open flame.”

“...Ingredients
    Ingredients: Isopropyl Alcohol, Water, Fragrance.”

Wouldn’t think of using these on camera lenses, or my eye glasses!

I think that's CVS's lawyers talking.
    They don't want somebody suing them because the customer found a "cleaning mark" on their $2000 lens. They're willing to risk that on a $200 pair of glasses.

T-shirt
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Seldom clean them. I blow dust off with dry air.

Lens caps help.

I think the more we clean them the worse they get.

I never understood lens cleaning dry tissues like sold long ago, scratchers.

Any dust will scratch even when wet.

I only clean old lenses that are new to me and have heavy haze.

Read this and scroll down to see the images. Front Element Scratches
    Tin Can

I have a different take on lens cleaning from that of most folk, I suspect. I save my Zeiss and Sensei lens cleaning papers and wipes for emergencies, which to me mean situations in which I have no access to a clean cotton ball or clean cotton swab. This goes back to my days of cleaning microscopes. I found microscopic damage to lens coatings when using lens papers, and the lens cleaning microfiber cloths are just too blasted difficult to keep clean...and once you use them, you'll have to rationalize that they are no longer clean! So, why is the cotton ball or swab superior, in my opinion? Dirt you are removing goes deeper into the fibers with the cotton ball or swab, and if you constantly present a fresh surface of the cotton fibers, will not scratch your lens. Can't say that about the lens papers, which I believe only survive on the market for their convenient packaging. Papers easily contaminated, too. After using the cotton fiber ball or swab, be it with or without lens cleaning fluid dampening, as required, I use the air puff device without the brush to blow away any loose fibers. I've been seen using it in the field with the brush in a dusty environment when I didn't want to open cotton ball pack. Believe me, I don't have any evidence of damage to coated surfaces with the swab or cotton ball cleaning method, as long as visible loose dust is puffed away before using the fiber device. This works also on optical flats, mirrors, etc., but I'd not try it on pellicles.

I used to work with specially coated optical flats, both glass and metal mirrors, and some other very fine surfaces. I saw many items damaged by scatches from KimWipes fresh from a box. I wasn't present when box was opened, so I cannot say the wipes had not been contaminated. However, a local optical shop advised me never to use those on my coated glassware. I also had some similar blue wipes that came in a 15 lbs box for 14" square wipes (believe size correct, could have been 12 X 12). I found that they were good for very fine metal shop use, but not good-enough for optically lapped metals, for it was evident that the wipes were reinforced with fine glass fibers!

Quote Originally Posted by onecumulo View Post
    I have a different take on lens cleaning from that of most folk, I suspect. I save my Zeiss and Sensei lens cleaning papers and wipes for emergencies, which to me mean situations in which I have no access to a clean cotton ball or clean cotton swab. This goes back to my days of cleaning microscopes. I found microscopic damage to lens coatings when using lens papers, and the lens cleaning microfiber cloths are just too blasted difficult to keep clean...and once you use them, you'll have to rationalize that they are no longer clean! So, why is the cotton ball or swab superior, in my opinion? Dirt you are removing goes deeper into the fibers with the cotton ball or swab, and if you constantly present a fresh surface of the cotton fibers, will not scratch your lens. Can't say that about the lens papers, which I believe only survive on the market for their convenient packaging. Papers easily contaminated, too. After using the cotton fiber ball or swab, be it with or without lens cleaning fluid dampening, as required, I use the air puff device without the brush to blow away any loose fibers. I've been seen using it in the field with the brush in a dusty environment when I didn't want to open cotton ball pack. Believe me, I don't have any evidence of damage to coated surfaces with the swab or cotton ball cleaning method, as long as visible loose dust is puffed away before using the fiber device. This works also on optical flats, mirrors, etc., but I'd not try it on pellicles.
    When you use a microfiber cloth designed for lenses and dust or oils are trapped between the fibers and do not penetrate into the fibers. When cleaning the cloth you just wash them in a sink like other delicate fabrics, that will remove the trapped particles. Let the cloth air dry.
    Always shake a microfiber cloth before use to dislodge any debris it may have captured.

You might also note that both Rodenstock and Schneider offer microfiber cleaning cloths.