Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cost expectations for 8x10 restoration

cost expectations for 8x10 restoration

I'm trying to get into 8x10, as I've mentioned in other threads. I recently acquired an 8x10 enlarger for free, which was nice, though it needs some work. However, the enlarger isn't very useful until I have negatives to enlarge, so finding a camera is the next step. I'm looking for one that needs work to become usable, as I am a student on a tight budget, and a working one goes way above what I can afford. I've talked to Catlabs, as I don't live too far from them, and they have a few cameras that might work, but I don't know what old 8x10s are worth, so I have no idea if they are good deals or not. What should I expect to pay for an 8x10 that needs restoring? I'm looking for one that has all/most of the metal parts intact, but I have a wood shop where I can make replacement wooden pieces, so those being damaged is ok.

Also, do any of you guys have suggestions for other places I should check out for old "project" 8x10 cameras?

(I know asking for valuations is not allowed, but I don't think this falls under that, if the moderators disagree I'm happy to delete it)

Re: cost expectations for 8x10 restoration

The best place to find any LF camera is right on this forum.

30 days from joining you will have access to the FS and better the WTB sections.

Post your desire on Wanted to Buy before you buy...

Anything!
    Tin Can

cool, I'll wait around then I guess

And tell your story as many here want to help beginners of any age.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    cool, I'll wait around then I guess
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    (I know asking for valuations is not allowed, but I don't think this falls under that, if the moderators disagree I'm happy to delete it)
    Make it "what's the most affordable way for a student on a budget to try 8x10, and what are the risks and specific things to watch out for if you start with a 'beater' camera?" and you've got an excellent topic for discussion.

Good luck!

Bellows is the big one, as they can be a bit expensive to replace, often requiring $200 or more. Otherwise, any broken/warped pieces can be an issue. What's best really depends on your use (studio, landscapes, portraits, hiking, architecture....) and total budget for a working camera. A brand new Intrepid 8x10MKII is about $700. A Kodak D2 in excellent condition is about the same. Some cameras have expensive lens boards, like a Kodak Master View 8x10. Others are easy to buy used, or to make.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Have restored quite a few 8x10 cameras ranging from a "generic" no name wooden one to a Sinar Norma. I have found that a Burke & James (B&J) wooden Commercial View Camera to be the easiest to restore. Think that I have restored 3 over the years. If you do not need front movements, then a Burke & James Rembrandt View Camera (camera does have rear movements). Have restored 2 of them over the years for use with ultra wide angle lenses that barely covered the format. If you strip the gray paint (easy to do), you will find gorgeous solid (hard?)wood that looks great when stained. I've never passed up on acquiring a wooden B&J view camera if the price was right. Parts are very interchangeable. FYI, the first thing to do is to either remove or replace the top handle... trust me on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Bellows is the big one, as they can be a bit expensive to replace, often requiring $200 or more. Otherwise, any broken/warped pieces can be an issue. What's best really depends on your use (studio, landscapes, portraits, hiking, architecture....) and total budget for a working camera. A brand new Intrepid 8x10MKII is about $700. A Kodak D2 in excellent condition is about the same. Some cameras have expensive lens boards, like a Kodak Master View 8x10. Others are easy to buy used, or to make.
    Bellows are expensive, but I've found some tutorials, and I think making them wouldn't be too hard. The most difficult thing from what I've heard is finding a good fabric that blocks light, but I think I've found a source for something that should work.

Making good ones isn't that easy, either. Doable, yes. What fabric are you considering?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'm not sure if it was on this forum that I saw it mentioned, or a different one, but it is cloth that is designed to protect light sensitive equipment when using lasers for scientific purposes. It's the Blackout Fabric model number BK5 from this website: https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppag..._id=190&pn=BK5

Its 0.12mm thick, which should be thin enough, and pretty cheap too at only $10 per square yard