Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod - Check Luggage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tripod - Check Luggage?

I have a RRS TVC 33 tripod... love it, however, I’ve never flown with it. I don’t see being able to store it inside a carry on bag, it’s just too big. Risk storing it (sans head) in my checked bag? Headed to France. First time LF overseas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Tripod - Check Luggage?

Okay,...figure out what diameter PVC sewer pipe will hold it. If 4" will work, buy a length of it and a glue on end cap and a rubber "Fernco" cap that's held in place with a hose clamp. You have a tripod case. PVC comes in sizes to 14"

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    Okay,...figure out what diameter PVC sewer pipe will hold it. If 4" will work, buy a length of it and a glue on end cap and a rubber "Fernco" cap that's held in place with a hose clamp. You have a tripod case. PVC comes in sizes to 14"
    That’s killer! So you’d check that?

Ive carried smaller tripods in checked baggage with the head rotated down to fit the bag, never had a problem.

Only time I've sent a tripod in checked baggage, it didn't make a connecting flight and it arrived at my destination about the time I'd returned home. If you can send it ahead and travel light I think that's ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Only time I've sent a tripod in checked baggage, it didn't make a connecting flight and it arrived at my destination about the time I'd returned home. If you can send it ahead and travel light I think that's ideal.
    Luckily it’s direct (Boston to Paris)

While I like the idea of the protection PVC would provide, wouldn't that be a bit suspicious? I've packed my Gitzo 1227 in my checked luggage many times.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

If you unscrew the rubber feet and remove the head and round plate from the top how long is it?

My gitzo T3530S tripod is 23.5 inches and I've carried it on at least 20 times without issue, using an old cheap bogen tripod bag, (which I just looked up and apparently is no longer made)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	item_L_37922172_794226f421ed2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	192116

PVC pipe comes in a solid or cellular wall versions. The cellular wall version is much lighter. If constructing a tripod case, I would use the rubber end caps for plumbing. But, based on a quick look at online photos, I question whether a 4" pipe would do it, so you'd have to go bigger.

Personally, I'd wrap the tripod really well in bubble wrap and put in a duffel bag.

About two weeks ago my unprotected Gitzo Studex (in a duffel bag) got bumped and dented one of the legs. I'll drill out the dent to make it useful again.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China