Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Technika in a Domke F-2 or other shoulder bag?

Technika in a Domke F-2 or other shoulder bag?

After much procrastination, I ordered a Linhof Technika IV from KEH along with a couple lenses, lens boards and some film holders. Now, while I wait for that to be shipped, I’m faced with acquiring all the other stuff necessary to actually use the camera.

I was trying to find the folded dimensions of the camera, but the closest I could find was the dimensions of the master technika which I’ll assume is pretty close. (185x218x110).

I need to find a bag to schlep it around in. I may have something I can use in the short term, but looking at the dimensions of the Domke F-2 I think it might work well. I’m thinking I could mount the quad lens insert offset to one side, the technika on one side and the film holders on the other. The lenses could go in the lens insert, but would probably not fit with the lens boards in place.

This may not come out, but T is the camera, L is a lens, M is my meter, and H are film holders:
    —————————
    | TTT | L | L | H |
    | TTT |—+—| H |
    | TTT | L | M| H |
    —————————

Has anyone given this setup a try with the Technika or similar sized field cameras? To my, inexperienced mind, the biggest drawback is that the lenses may only fit without the lens board. Do you generally keep you lenses attached to a board, or do you swap them into the board in the field?

Anyone have a better recommendation for a shoulder bag (I know backpacks are popular for this purpose, but I kind of need this to be a shoulder bag)?

(Sadly, where I live I can only go by photos and published specs on the internet, so I think I can make this fit, but it’s all guesswork. Domke also makes the F-1 which is the same layout, but larger. I prefer smaller if possible.)

Re: Technika in a Domke F-2 or other shoulder bag?

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I need to find a bag to schlep it around in.)
    As luck would have it, I've been scouring the Web for something to carry my Horseman technical camera...have you considered a camcorder bag? (I'm thinking of those like from Porta Brace with the double-zippered panel that opens from the top.)

You might have to improvise some dividers, but since all the "form factors" associated with LF seem to be rectangular, it might provide the most efficient use of space. (Not as cool as waxed canvas, though...)

Small town, South Carolina, US

Good luck! Those things are heavy. You maybe should consider a backpack style.

This should answer your question.

http://linhof.com/en/koenig-universal-photobag-2/

Hi!

I use a dome F2 with my MT.
    (I use the same bag for all my cameras & swap them out)
    It will also accommodate two lenses on boards.
    I also use the Domke F6 bag for the same purpose.
    Probably much better bags, but I had them already

It is fine for the camera
    After much procrastination, I ordered a Linhof Technika IV from KEH along with a couple lenses, lens boards and some film holders. Now, while I wait for that to be shipped, I’m faced with acquiring all the other stuff necessary to actually use the camera.

I was trying to find the folded dimensions of the camera, but the closest I could find was the dimensions of the master technika which I’ll assume is pretty close. (185x218x110).

I need to find a bag to schlep it around in. I may have something I can use in the short term, but looking at the dimensions of the Domke F-2 I think it might work well. I’m thinking I could mount the quad lens insert offset to one side, the technika on one side and the film holders on the other. The lenses could go in the lens insert, but would probably not fit with the lens boards in place.

This may not come out, but T is the camera, L is a lens, M is my meter, and H are film holders:
    —————————
    | TTT | L | L | H |
    | TTT |—+—| H |
    | TTT | L | M| H |
    —————————

Has anyone given this setup a try with the Technika or similar sized field cameras? To my, inexperienced mind, the biggest drawback is that the lenses may only fit without the lens board. Do you generally keep you lenses attached to a board, or do you swap them into the board in the field?

Anyone have a better recommendation for a shoulder bag (I know backpacks are popular for this purpose, but I kind of need this to be a shoulder bag)?

(Sadly, where I live I can only go by photos and published specs on the internet, so I think I can make this fit, but it’s all guesswork. Domke also makes the F-1 which is the same layout, but larger. I prefer smaller if possible.)

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m avoiding backpacks because I don’t want something I need to put on the ground to access. My knees don’t really work (both tibias were shattered into dozens of pieces, and are now held together with metal) so while I can walk fine I can’t kneel or squat. So to accessing the contents of a bag on the ground is an ordeal. Easier to hang it off my shoulder and access the contents while standing, even if it means sore shoulders.

I love porta brace bags, but they can be expensive. The trick is ultimately to get a bag that is big enough to hold what I need, but not excessively large. Domke was the first place I looked, because I really like their bags. A while back I bought a Domke F-803 satchel to hold a 35mm camera and a few lenses. Then I discovered I can fit my Bronica ETRSi, three lenses, three backs, sekonic meter, and a half dozen rolls of film. I rarely take it out with that much stuff, and I expect that with the Technika I’ll be the same—camera, a couple lenses, 6-8 film holders, my sekonic meter, and dark cloth (which I expect will be necessary in the New Mexico sun.) So while that König bag looks cool, it’s also probably far too large for my needs.

And thanks Serge for confirming that it will probably fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    This should answer your question.

http://linhof.com/en/koenig-universal-photobag-2/
    Available in USA? Price?

I sent you there for dimensions, not to buy. But you could if you wanted to!

Your camera and the MT are very similar in size.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Available in USA? Price?
    That is one of those if you need to ask questions!

In the USA most stores would sell it for over 1 thousand dollars!