Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LED Enlarger Head?

Re: LED Enlarger Head?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I don't believe they are still making these units. I bought this one new in box on Ebay. I offered $125 and won the item, and I'm extremely pleased to have found it.

They also made a Model III with green and blue LEDs, which you can control with a Iphone 6. I like graded paper right now anyway, so I am OK with just the blue LEDs.

modern enlarging systems model 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Offered only to directly fit Omega D enlargers.
    You got a great deal. Foma makes beautiful graded papers and Ilford still makes Gallerie in grade 3 .

3:30am random thought about using color heads for split grade printing...this would be a total pain, at least in my case, when a significant amount of my vertically oriented printing is done with the enlarger head halfway into a hole in the ceiling - and I could not see how I could, with any degree of convenience, twiddle some dials (assuming I could even see them) up on the head while making a print. Thank goodness for bench mounted control boxes!

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    ...Ilford still makes Gallerie in grade 3...
    I'm not so sure about that. One can confidently claim that HARMAN still sells Ilfobrom Galerie in grade 3 but, as to whether it's still in production or remaining master roll(s) of 3 are all that's left, who except insiders constrained by NDAs knows?

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    3:30am random thought about using color heads for split grade printing...this would be a total pain, at least in my case, when a significant amount of my vertically oriented printing is done with the enlarger head halfway into a hole in the ceiling - and I could not see how I could, with any degree of convenience, twiddle some dials (assuming I could even see them) up on the head while making a print. Thank goodness for bench mounted control boxes!
    The way I’d do it is to use the white light setting and under the lens filters.

Today in a PM a member asked me, "You mentioned this unit in the thread about home-made enlarger light sources, and it looks like it could be a good option for me.

The power switch is on the front, i.e. on the same side as the light-emitting surface. Do you recall if it's a mechanical switch? If so, I can leave it on and switch it externally. A touch switch would be more complicated..."

I looked at my Artograph 920 and it does have a mechanical side mount rocker switch which is easily controlled with a timer.

The current Artograph 920 LX does not and MAY not stay on when external power is switched on and off. I just don't know anything about the 'improved' version.

I have edited my included post and removed the link to the latest issue and corrected Artograph 920 LX to be Artograph LX.

YMMV

If I may, I vastly prefer in thread questions to PM's as our knowledge base improves with public posts.

I suspect a subset of members use PM's to conceal their knowledge. Impossible to prove...Not even the Mods know the answer, maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I was using a Artograph 920 not a 920 LX on a FOTAR 10X10 enlarger as a 5X7 enlarger lamp in a DIY head which held this lamp very close to a Saltzman 5X7 glass-less negative carrier.

It worked well for me.

But i was primarily enlarging onto 30X40" X-Ray film which is far faster than normal paper. I did make some 16X20" prints on Ilford MG but do not recall the exposure times.

I just posted a print made with the Artograph here.

However I took down that studio, and sold the FOTAR for real good money 2 years ago.

I kept my good bits. I have other 10X10 to improve...

These days there may be better LED solutions.

LED's are evolving quickly!
    Tin Can

Blocked

May you live a long life

Quote Originally Posted by hornstenj View Post
    I prefer PM/dm/im. On this forum, I refrain from doing so more than once with any member. There are contact names that may be useful but not suited to publication.
    Sorry, but much of the conversation here is Cracker Barrel: not suited for those of me & mine.

-- in passing:
    I've seen two of the high post member here. Them &or their work. One in NOLA. Spoke with him about 5 minutes at a pop-up show he was doing. The coffee was good. I was told many times how long the prints would last.
    -- the other was in SF. I didn't see the prints (?3boxes), but heard him shouting across the lobby about mat board; the mayor; his wife. It lasted 15 minutes before my hosts excused themselves; came around to us, and apologized for taking time away from our meeting.

Jen /Sống lâu trăm tuổi

AND apology to the OP for taking this direct to thread to Randy, I'd already PMd him in something else, and didn't want to do that again.
    Tin Can