Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Enlarger Head?

Re: LED Enlarger Head?

Glen Helen Yellow Springs 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Enlarged onto 8x10 Arista Ultra EDU #2 graded paper, using Modern Enlarging Systems Model II LED head as light source.
    Uber bright LED light source, blue LEDS only (for graded paper use). Which I happen to prefer right now.

5 seconds at F32 enlarging time. development in Ilford Multigrade developer. Using vintage Omega Omegalite circuline bulb exposure time same height 35 secs at F16.

Glen Helen Yellow Springs waterfall
    Sinar Norma 4x5 HP5 D76
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

― Mark Twain

Are they still in business? A search under the name you posted shows nothing.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Are they still in business?
    I don't believe they are still making these units. I bought this one new in box on Ebay. I offered $125 and won the item, and I'm extremely pleased to have found it.

They also made a Model III with green and blue LEDs, which you can control with a Iphone 6. I like graded paper right now anyway, so I am OK with just the blue LEDs.

modern enlarging systems model 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Offered only to directly fit Omega D enlargers.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    It is a 3 lamp + Dichroic Interference Filters

In the past interference filters were moving their position to filter more or less of the light before the mixing box.

I cannot say what's inside the 45SL, perhaps it's an additive system that has "substractive controls" for the user interface, the 3 lamps suggest that, this would be 3 high CRI warm white LED sources each filtered with dichroic filters, and each lamp would have a separate dimmer.

My guess is that this color head should reproduce very well the spectral nature of a Tungsten dichroic head, so it should be very suitable for RA-4 printing as channel crosstalk would be the standard one. Besseler is a serious thing, if they say that price this is beacuse it's a fine product for master RA-4 color printers.

For BW things are way simpler, two Rosco filters allows to make perfect prints, as Steve Sherman points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRlq8CwVvws , so for BW a DIY LED source it's the way. IMHO.
    I think you are correct about it being an additive head made to operate like a subtractive head. IMHO these are being produced for the educational market, which I suspect represents 98% of Beseler Photo sales. Thus the elegant simplicity, and high cost. Since there's no moving parts in the new Beseler head, split grade printing will be possible by turning the now effortless to rotate, CMY knobs.

I suspect this head will be very well received by educators that want to teach photography, not DIY 1980's electronics.

I've used the original Dichro S heads and Beseler's, love it or hate it, Universal 45 additive head. Both the older units work great if you don't have a problem. I've gotten good at replacing opto-isolators.

I would love to see the new Beseler head with a separate control box, not CMY dials on front, with optional color and VC controllers.

People that want this kind of sophistication will probably go with the well known Heiland units.

These guys are done. They were working on a model 3 VC model but must have run into reality.

These guys are done. They were working on a model 3 VC model but must have run into reality.

The website is modernenlargerlamp.com They are on hold

Sorry www.modernenlargerlamps.com , only made to fit Omega D chassis

Tin Can

And as it says, the website is being maintained for repairs of existing units. None of the lamps described are currently for sale.