Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a second 150mm 4x5 lens (for the kiddo)

Buying a second 150mm 4x5 lens (for the kiddo)

I currently have a Fujinon 150mm W 5.6. I believe it's multi-coated since the lettering is on the outside. It works great! It has the most accurate shutter compared to my 90mm Schnieder and 210 Rodenstock. It's accurate enough up until 1/125 where it starts to drift. 1/500 is nearly a full stop off. But it works well!

I upgraded from an Intrepid MK2 to an Chamonix 45F2. I still have the MK2 and my kiddo has taken a real likening to it. We're going on vacation here later this summer and I wanted to get a lens for him to use on Woodie (the name of the MK2). That way I'm not having to worry about sharing a lens.

Though I could just buy another Fujinon perhaps, this seemed like a good time to try another brand or type of 150mm lens since I could do A/B comparisons if I wanted. Curious what folks may recommend? Buying a super new Schneider probably isn't in the cards but I found some Rodenstock and Schneider's available from the 80's to 90's for a not terrible price. Granted I got an awesome deal on my current Fujinon and since 4x5 has made a bigger comeback since, prices seem to have risen.

Any thoughts?

Foamer

Re: Buying a second 150mm 4x5 lens (for the kiddo)

Pretty much any of them will do well. I would look for a caltar or nikkor.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

If you're adventurous, consider a 6" - 150mm Tessar formulation as another lens in this focal length. Tessar formulations have a smaller image circle compared to a Plasmat, but offers something different in image rendition specially at taking apertures larger than f22.

Bernice

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I agree with both of the above. Don’t write off an option like a Commercial Ektar.

Ah good points. I didn't think of going that direction (Tessar and old Ektars) but that would be interesting. On the note of Nikkor, I thought about that but the difficulties in determining the age of the lenses relative to Schneider or Rodenstock (and to some degree Fujinon) was a tad frustrating. I do enjoy Nikon glass as a general rule though.

I don't believe that Nikon ever made any changes to their LF lens designs, so age should not be a factor. But you can't go wrong with any modern 150mm lens, if the glass is clean and the shutter works. A 152/4.5 Ektar would be a good choice... for higher contrast and superb close-up performance I'd think about the Schneider 150/9 G-Claron. I've used both.

I don't know what price range you are looking at but Schneider APO Symmars are selling for around $200-250 I think and they are fantastic, if you want a superlative, modern lens.

Another option, a 150mm Rodenstock Geronar. Modern coated lens but a triplet formula, so may be nice for wider aperture shooting and comparing out-of-focus rendering. These sell really cheap.

Tessar is nice but IMO will not match your other lenses in contrast, so take that into account (you may want to shoot at a different EI or develop longer to increase contrast, or use it in really contrasty light).

G-Claron is excellent for general shooting and "macro" as well, so a useful option.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

If you want a very light, compact lens a G-Claron is another choice. I love mine for 4x5.

Roger

For the money a Caltar IIN 150/5.6 is a great lens.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    Any thoughts?
    You will have same problem with all lenses, so you may find a way to easily mount your lenses in both cameras.

Me, I use cambo and sinar, so I made a cambo board that takes sinar boards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP32-20180310-195337.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	192113

In your case you may mount your lenses in small circular lensboards and make an adapter for each camera to take those circular boards, in that way when you carry several lenses also you will save a lot of space.