Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace Deardorff bellows or sell as is?

Replace Deardorff bellows or sell as is?

I recently purchased a Deardorff V8, early fifties vintage, off of another forum. When I received it I was pretty happy overall. The camera is in pretty decent shape for it's age. Metal parts have a significant patina from being over polished, wood is solid and in good shape, probably refinished. The leather strap is missing. But it's generally solid and all movements operate properly. The seller described the bellows as "Newer and light tight".

Unfortunately this did not prove to be accurate. Upon testing, the bellows proves to be riddled with pinholes, sags when is extended and is likely the original bellows. Yes, it could probably be used as is, by draping the dark cloth, but honestly I have had film ruined by bad bellows in the past and won't go that route again. After doing a good bit of reading I have an idea of the cost of replacing it. Not interested in cheapo DIY fixes and this is not a job I would do, as I have no experience doing it and fear I would screw it up, so I would send it for the replacement. So with shipping, etc, I'm probably looking at $500 or thereabouts.

I paid $1650 for the camera, and if it the bellows was as described and did not need replacing, I would be happy with that deal. But I probably would have been reluctant to pay upwards of $2200 for it.

I wrote to the seller who says he tested it and did not find a problem. And in his own defense it took me several weeks to get around to testing it myself, as I have been quite busy with work and other obligations. So he is reluctant to issue any kind of full or partial refund. It is a buyer beware world indeed.

This camera was to be an upgrade from my trusty Eastman 2D, I've used for twenty years. Have been watching ads on ebay and elsewhere for sometime, hoping to stumble onto a "deal" and this one seemed to fit my budget. The cosmetic issues don't bother me as I am a user and not beholden to shiny bits. I've never owned a Deardorff and would be happy to own and use one. But I'm not a member of the cult and I'd be equally happy with something else that was fully functional and light tight. (Anyone have a nice Philips or Canham they'd like to offload for cheap?)

So I'm soliciting your expert opinions. Is it worth the additional $500 or more to replace or should I cut my losses and sell the camera and look for a better option?

Re: Replace Deardorff bellows or sell as is?

Get a new bellows from Custom Bellows and you'll have a camera for life!

Replace the bellows and then use it or sell it. It is very easy to replace a pre-made bellows by yourself.

Anyone considering a new bellows might try scrubbing artists' black liquid acrylic paint thoroughly into the inside of the extended bellows with a used soft toothbrush. The paint should be scrubbed into the leather or fabric of the bellows, not piled up on the surface. Let it dry completely before compressing the bellows. It it works, you're back in business. If not, you're only out a few dollars worth of paint.

I'd go staright:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816RGVR0u2L._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	192063

Inspect well the bellows with a torch in the darkness and glue opaque fabric where you have a pin or a weak area, in 30min you may have the bellows in perfect shape. The you may purchase new bellows without any hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Replace the bellows and then use it or sell it. It is very easy to replace a pre-made bellows by yourself.
    Would you happen to have detailed instructions and / or a video of the procedure? I'm fairly handy, but reluctant to take on a task if any of my mistake could prove as costly as failed install.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I'd go staright:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816RGVR0u2L._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	192063

Inspect well the bellows with a torch in the darkness and glue opaque fabric where you have a pin or a weak area, in 30min you may have the bellows in perfect shape. The you may purchase new bellows without any hurry.
    I would try this if it only had a few pinholes, but as I stated in my original post, I'm not interested in band aid fixes for this bellows. It has far too many to patch. So I want it done correctly. Or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Get a new bellows from Custom Bellows and you'll have a camera for life!
    I agree with Luis, don't buy others, Custom is the only maker which can duplicate the original.

Remove the front and rear bellows frames, they are wood and held in with 2 screws on each side. Send them to CUstom Bellows and let them attach the new bellows.. Normally I would send the original bellows,but you don't have it so I would not send what you have. It is glued to the frames.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

An 8x10 bellows with wooden frames for this camera may cost $200 from the Hong Kong based dealers on the auction site. You send the old one and you get a new one very well done.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones