Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replace Deardorff bellows or sell as is?

Re: Replace Deardorff bellows or sell as is?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Remove the front and rear bellows frames, they are wood and held in with 2 screws on each side. Send them to CUstom Bellows and let them attach the new bellows.. Normally I would send the original bellows,but you don't have it so I would not send what you have. It is glued to the frames.
    I see on the rear standard 3 screws on each side that would appear to hold the frame in place. I don't see any such screws on the front standard.

Unrelated to the bellows, I've also noticed a fair bit of play in the rear standard, meaning it is not super rigid when locked down. Having never used one of these cameras I don't have a point of reference, so don't know how rigid it should be, but I would prefer it be more solidly locked. Any thoughts on this? Is there a fix?

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    An 8x10 bellows with wooden frames for this camera may cost $200 from the Hong Kong based dealers on the auction site. You send the old one and you get a new one very well done.
    The problem is quality, and the ability to make a bellows like the original which folded in on itself so it could be full length, but very compact when folded. Stay away from these copycat bellows,go with the best bellows maker in the world. No, I have no interest in the company, but know of how good their work haws been for me.

If you are going to use the camera, and it's otherwise satisfactory, take the screws out leave the (original? ) bellows attached to the frames and get in queue at Custom Bellows UK.

If there are other things about the camera that bug you, take this as a learning experience and get rid of the camera.

I've made some dumb purchases in my life, rather than fretting about it, find a buyer that will take it.

When I see, polished metalwork and refinished, it would make me look close. You don't want any more surprises .

Catlabs sells Japanese made bellows that have been received well. It's a ready to go solution. I think the Custom Bellows UK route is very reasonable in price and has a stellar reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by robbiemcclaran View Post
    Unrelated to the bellows, I've also noticed a fair bit of play in the rear standard, meaning it is not super rigid when locked down. Having never used one of these cameras I don't have a point of reference, so don't know how rigid it should be, but I would prefer it be more solidly locked. Any thoughts on this? Is there a fix?
    This is a common problem with Deardorff's. The 'play' results from wear of the geared focusing tracks. An easy fix can be done if you are changing the bellows. After the bellows are out, unscrew the tracks and flip them and replace them on opposite sides. Usually they are only worn at the rear, not the front. Flipping them should tighten the rear standard. I learned this trick from 'Lens & Repro' and did it for my own camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robbiemcclaran View Post
    Yes, the "Fix" is to use the camera and don't worry about it!