Thread: Travel - Hot Weather - Film

Travel - Hot Weather - Film

Hi all,

I'm almost heading towards Spain (I'm from Belgium) to do a tour of about two weeks.
    While on vacation, I have the chance to work with a Spanish model.

But... I expect hot conditions. So any remarks, tips, etc... on how to transport loaded 4X5 films?
    Or is this a no go?

Foamer

Re: Travel - Hot Weather - Film

If it's really hot, over 90F, I keep the film in a small padded cooler with those blue gel packs you put in the freezer. This seems to work quite well. Remember to have the holder out of the cooler for a little while in case there is condensation.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I think you have to be a bit more specific.

When do you load your films, when do you unload them and what are expected conditions in between (in the car, in the backpack, for how long etc)?

I have regularly travelled with loaded 4x5" film in temperatures around 40ºC and warmer, it isn't an issue, or hasn't been for me anyway. I am usually in a small slide-on camper and things get warm to hot when on the move, regardless of anything I have tried to do.

Easiest way is to travel with film kept in original packaging, which in my case, is Ilford FP4+ in 100 sheet packaging. This I keep in a zip lock bag in our refrigerator, mostly. That said, I have traversed for 3 months in warm to hot temperatures (30ºC - 43ºC) with no refrigeration and have not had any issues. I have done this four times, on four different holidays.

With regard to traveling with loaded film that you wish to keep cool, the usual thing is for each film holder to be kept in a zip lock bag before undergoing refrigeration of any kind.

Mick.

Drew Wiley

Besides picnic coolers, you can use insulated school lunch bags lined with foil. The very best insulation is actually wrapping your film box inside a goosedown jacket! Might sound strange. But I often visit hot desert and cold high altitudes on the same trip, and just keep the film in there all the time, except when I need to wear the jacket. Avoid car trunks and glove compartments.

Quote Originally Posted by erian View Post
    I think you have to be a bit more specific.

When do you load your films, when do you unload them and what are expected conditions in between (in the car, in the backpack, for how long etc)?
    Hi, so, I will load my film at home before we go on the trip.
    And I shall be 2 weeks on the road. The shoot itself shall take place on the last weekend of the trip.
    We are going to Spain, so it kind of depends but I expect rather hot weather.
    And we are travelling by Car...

When I was photographing in Joshua Tree years ago, had to store my photo equipment somewhere when I was off rock climbing. In a closed trunk was out of the question. Kept 2 really beat up really cheap styrofoam coolers in the back seat of the car. Left the windows open a little. Passerbyers had no inkling that $$$ photo equipment resided inside those coolers.

Drew Wiley

Just don't drive up to some mountain parking lot afterwards without covering the coolers with a blanket or jacket. They're magnets for bears.

Foamer

If the photos are taken on the last few days, can't you just have the film delivered to where you'll be a few days in advance?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    If the photos are taken on the last few days, can't you just have the film delivered to where you'll be a few days in advance?

Kent in SD
    Hi,

Because we are wandering/travelling. We have a planning but not one that is certain, except for the location of the shoot, but that area is very desolate.