Thread: Here are some beauties...

Here are some beauties...

I'll assume these were large format since 100 years ago nearly everything was large format.
    Thing is, these were done without any of the privileges today's glamour models have.
    And they still look pretty darned beautiful!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Here are some beauties...

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post

I'll assume these were large format since 100 years ago nearly everything was large format.
    Thing is, these were done without any of the privileges today's glamour models have.
    Natural beauty indeed, John. Anyone who watches silent movies on TCM recognizes some of these ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    ... these were done without any of the privileges today's glamour models have.
    Well, there was a whole lot of make-up and hair dressing going on back then. They even had orthchromatic and panchromatic make-up to control the rendering of lips and eyes on black-and-white film. Retouching was a common practice to remove wrinkles and smooth shadows (who needs botox or plastic surgery when you've got a pencil...) The images in the video all look pretty heavily retouched to me. Natural?? Uh... not quite.

FWIW, I printed a few images for an acquaintance from glass plates years ago. They were 50th-wedding anniversary portraits. They were so heavily retouched that the couple looked like adolescents. We decided to remove the retouching and reprint. The resulting images showed the acquired character and ravages of time, and were much more satisfying to my taste.

Best,

Doremus

Some look like hippies I once knew.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Some look like hippies I once knew.

I can't remember which rock band it was but when asked what changed between the 60's and the 70's they replied that the girls got better looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post

I can't remember which rock band it was but when asked what changed between the 60's and the 70's they replied that the girls got better looking!
    Not the big hair Disco dancers! We hid for the entire John Revolta era. We had big house parties with the entire neighborhood. Open door, inside Chicago. Even the Police showed up and had a drink.

Chicago WAS FUN, not anymore. I left 2 years ago for a good reason.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Not the big hair Disco dancers! We hid for the entire John Revolta era. We had big house parties with the entire neighborhood. Open door, inside Chicago. Even the Police showed up and had a drink.

Chicago WAS FUN, not anymore. I left 2 years ago for a good reason.
    I imagine they were talking about groupies.

I loved it when Pete Townsend wrote "Sister Disco". At the time I was glad that the disco era was over. Unfortunately, some of the new wave stuff in the 80's was just as bad. Whip it! Whip it good, Randy!