Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Portraits June 2019

Re: Portraits June 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    xvo -- nicely done, and intriguing.
    I definitely second this. An intimate treatment of an engaging subject.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Thanks for the comment as it is appreciated and helpful. Yes, the light is not great and knew it before the shot. In fact, I was not going to shoot at all that day since it was hot and humid and so windy with gusts up to 30 mph. The plan was to shoot in the shade with reflectors which just would not happen with the wind. So, that means I'll have to shoot again on a better day.

Given the really challenging light, you did a great job!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

First in a series of 7 imags, shot in Spain.
    Intrepid 4x5 - Kodak Portra 160

Lucia by Smith De Westelinck, on Flickr

Kevin Kolosky

A very lovely young lady indeed. But again, the harsh light is coming from too high of an angle. The light completely misses her eyes, which are in shadow, while other parts of her face are in bright sunlight. If you could have used some subtractive lighting, or moved her into an area where there was just open skylight instead of direct sunlight it may have given her a more pleasant look. Also, I think she might have liked it if you would have fixed her hair just a little bit before you exposed the film. Since you left so little leg not showing it might have been fun to see how the portrait looked full length. And, especially with women, it sometimes looks better if they do not stand flat to the camera. Perhaps turning her just a bit to her right and then having her turn her head to her high shoulder (to her left) might have been a more pleasant pose for her.

Charles S

Quote Originally Posted by neildw View Post
    Lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    A very lovely young lady indeed. But again, the harsh light is coming from too high of an angle. The light completely misses her eyes, which are in shadow, while other parts of her face are in bright sunlight. If you could have used some subtractive lighting, or moved her into an area where there was just open skylight instead of direct sunlight it may have given her a more pleasant look. Also, I think she might have liked it if you would have fixed her hair just a little bit before you exposed the film. Since you left so little leg not showing it might have been fun to see how the portrait looked full length. And, especially with women, it sometimes looks better if they do not stand flat to the camera. Perhaps turning her just a bit to her right and then having her turn her head to her high shoulder (to her left) might have been a more pleasant pose for her.
    Hi Kevin, I thank you for your comment and appreciate it...

How ever... how much I do stylize the shoot (model) I want it not to be picture perfect (hair), same with pose for I do not go for ''elegance''.
    I agree with the light not being upon her eyes. Indeed the sun was really high that day (and any day) and had no light... expect for some bounce. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by neildw View Post

Lucia by Smith De Westelinck, on Flickr
    This is absolutely beautiful! I disagree with Kevin on this one, the splash of sunshine is perfectly placed and adds to the image and wonderful look you’ve achieved. The exposure is well handled and I can’t wait to see more!

Kevin Kolosky

" How ever... how much I do stylize the shoot (model) I want it not to be picture perfect (hair), same with pose for I do not go for ''elegance''.

Please forgive me. I should not have worded my comments the way I did. Absolutely, you should make your images the way you want them to be. Even though I didn't write it properly, my comments were meant only to say how I would have made the photograph. And looking at it, I would have also possibly taken the wrinkles out of her blouse as well. She is such a beautiful young lady that I confess I would have wanted to make the photo with as much "elegance" as possible.

Smith De Westelinck I am now following your work.

Thanks for the links and description of how you convert film to monitor viewing.