Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark shade on negative

Re: Dark shade on negative

Interesting. Let's see if we can solve this. Do you see this shading on both vertical and horizontal compositions, and is the shading always on the left and right in both vertical and horizontal compositions? Also, have you tried traditional tank development or tray development and if so, do still see this shading when developing by either of those methods? Lastly, I've assumed that the sample image seen above is a direct negative scan. Is that correct, or is this instead a print scan?

N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

It is a negative scan, and used Silverfast with it, and see shading only along the long side.

I did a test yesterday at home and I did not see the bands anymore. This time I did the inversions with more energy than usual; I think I was previously being too gentle and also inverting too slowly.

I only have time over the weekend, so in a few days I will try again; this time I will be more aggressive when inverting the tank and let you know.

I just found out that gentle vs vigorous agitation depends on whether or not the tank is is full. When I was doing it gently, the tank was full and that might explain uneven development.

With mod54 do you fill it with 1L of liquid or do you use less?

I'm afraid I can't answer that question because I do not use a Mod 54 reel or any other type of tank (I use tray development for both 45 and 810 negatives). Variations in agitation might explain the problem you're experiencing, but I think it must be something more than that because, as I understand it, the problem always occurs along the long edges of the negatives, and if it was solely agitation causing this problem, I would expect more generalized indications of insufficient agitation, e.g., low contrast or, in extreme cases, even bromide drag. If the film is loaded such that the edges are in close contact with the reel (or the edges of the holder in the case of your SP-445 and backward loading), insufficient agitation may limit the amount of fresh developer reaching the covered areas of the film, giving rise to the problem seen in your original scan. That does seem plausible, and in that case, presoaking might help. Regardless of what development method is used, consistency in every aspect of development, including agitation, is essential. Film is a perfectly obedient and predictable material. If you do the same thing with it every time, it will give you the same result every time. There are no exceptions.

N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

I'm pre washing now and agitating much more vigorously. So far, the negatives come out ok, so I think you are right.

This is a vexing problem for even the most experienced worker.. I had processed over 50thousand rolls sheets of film before I saw a problem somewhat like posted.. Always in neutral bckgrounds and for the life of me it took 3 months and I closed down my film development till I could solve the problem. Basically I attributed it to the water coming off the city line, and more importantly I started doing manual inversions and twists in the first 15 seconds of development.... this allowed the developer to get to every square inch of the film in the least amount of time... I am sure this is why some recommend a presoak, which allows the chems to get where they need to be faster.... I use Jobo and to this day still do the twist and invert before the second I get the full amount of developer in the tank, this has solved all my issues with this very common processing problem..

You may want to use distilled water in your developer as well , which may allow the transfer quicker to engulf the entire surface with fresh developer.

I had a similar problem with developing 120 film. The solution (after a lot of rolls exposed under the enlarger and developed with different agitation schemes, etc.) was to make sure not to fill the tank completely, but enough to cover the film completely, and to agitate vigorously and randomly, especially at the beginning of development. This seems to be your solution as well.

Best.

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    This is a vexing problem for even the most experienced worker.. I had processed over 50thousand rolls sheets of film before I saw a problem somewhat like posted.. Always in neutral bckgrounds and for the life of me it took 3 months and I closed down my film development till I could solve the problem. Basically I attributed it to the water coming off the city line, and more importantly I started doing manual inversions and twists in the first 15 seconds of development.... this allowed the developer to get to every square inch of the film in the least amount of time... I am sure this is why some recommend a presoak, which allows the chems to get where they need to be faster.... I use Jobo and to this day still do the twist and invert before the second I get the full amount of developer in the tank, this has solved all my issues with this very common processing problem..

You may want to use distilled water in your developer as well , which may allow the transfer quicker to engulf the entire surface with fresh developer.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Using distilled also improved a lot. With distilled water and energetic agitation, everything seems to be fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by rpagliari View Post
    I just developed a sheet and I noticed a dark strip on the right side of the image (see attached). I'm not sure what that could be (I used the sp45 development tank).

Attachment 191888

So just to verify, the dark, vertical stripe I see on the positive image you provided, is in fact a light stripe on the negative? In other words, the stripe is actually on the negative?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    So just to verify, the dark, vertical stripe I see on the positive image you provided, is in fact a light stripe on the negative? In other words, the stripe is actually on the negative?
    Yes, it is light on the negative, and therefore, dark on the positive image. It's happened on the short side as well, and always with neutral background. Neutral, meaning no texture, such as water or sky in long exposure.

I mitigated the effect by agitating more rigorously. I will try adding random twists to see if it can be removed completely.