Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger Dust Cover for Beseler MXT/45S

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Enlarger Dust Cover for Beseler MXT/45S

I am looking for a dust cover for my Beseler 45MXT w/45S head. Years ago I bought a Beseler cover for $20 off a local craigs list site but it doesn't fit all the way down due to the rectangular shape of the 45S head. A large contractors clean-up bag won't even fit on the top. I checked the accessories on the Beseler website but they don't list covers for their enlargers. Any suggestions?

Thomas

Re: Enlarger Dust Cover for Beseler MXT/45S

Garbage bag won't fit? I put garbage bags over all my 4x5 and smaller enlargers. After a while, when they collect dust on the outside, I use the bags for garbage and put clean bags on the enlargers. I'm using a plastic painter's 'Drop Cloth' on the Durst. Inexpensive and easy to replace if it gets torn or dirty.

Drew Wiley

Thick polyethylene bags are made in many sizes. You can get polyethylene print bags made for large prints which will fit over equipment. There are also machinery covers from woodworking stores which breathe slightly to mitigate rust forming under them - a real concern if your enlarger shares the same room as the darkroom sink and corrosive chemicals. That Beseler isn't really a big machine at all. You should have no problem finding something suitable if you go outside just photography gear sources. Check the usual suspects like Grainger or Rockler.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Thanks for the suggestions. When I got home from work I got the idea of slitting the black contractors bag and hang it over the enlarger. It works but not as nice looking as a regular enlarger cover. The Beseler cover I have is for the MXT. The opening is large enough for the bar at the top but it is tapered and won't go much further down than the bottom of the head - it's clearly for the condenser head. Too bad Beseler never made a cover for the MXT that fits the 45S head. I'm going to check-out the above suggestions to see if I can come-up with a better alternative to the black bag.

Thomas

I had no covers for my Devere 504 or Focomat so I made mine out of Tyvek. First task with Tyvek is to soften it up and that means manual labour folding/crunching/pulling. Takes some time but huge diff. Sewed mine but will just tape the seams next time.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I've used Grill covers. All these covers I've tried are somewhat clumsy. I use old sheets and towels. My wife buys nice sheets, for our king size bed. So I've got some nice cotton flannel drapes for my equipment.

Home Depot, drill press covers? Band saw covers?

Yeah - hey - I use a Weber BBQ cover for my Omega D2 - it works perfectly. For my table tops, I use banner flags, they’re large, weigh next to nothing and have a nice grommet in them to hang up when I’m working.

Drew Wiley

I wanted a big breathable cover for my moulding shaper, but didn't want to spend much, so just took two XXL tyvek disposable coveralls, slit them, and put them together even bigger. About ten bucks total. This is an inert fabric. Avoid anything containing vinyl or urethane coating because it will outgas and smudge equipment; bad for film and paper too.

I use a beach towel to cover my enlarger. It’s only an Omega B22.

However, pretty nice size beach towels are available.