Thread: new ambro type maker

new ambro type maker

Hello fellow photographers

I recently learned ambrotype. I took a workshop to confirm I would want to do at home, I do. Now I am approaching the logistics. I am trying to figure out if I want to put in a basement darkroom for development versus investing up front in something more mobile initially. Which did you all start with and why? I have found lots of good resources for mobile darkrooms on this website - so helpful.

Another question - do folks bring ice when shooting on road in summer for the ether in the collodion to prevent boiling?

Many thanks

Alethea

Re: new ambro type maker

If you don't already have a darkroom, go for a mobile setup so you can coat,etc, then develop on the spot. The necessity of coating inside,going out to photograph and ten back inside to develop, coupled with not being able to photograph away from home finally drove me from wet plate.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I'd go for the home darkroom first; learning will go much faster with that convenience, and what you learn will inform you about whether you ultimately want a tent, box, or other option for field work.

You may also want to look around for other wet platers in your area. We tend to be a pretty helpful bunch...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I agree with Mark. Learning the process indoors is much easier than processing plates outdoors. Be advised that you will need substantial ventilation to get the ether fumes out of your basement. When I shoot outside in really hot weather I keep my collodion and developer in a cooler with ice packs in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I'd go for the home darkroom first; learning will go much faster with that convenience, and what you learn will inform you about whether you ultimately want a tent, box, or other option for field work.

You may also want to look around for other wet platers in your area. We tend to be a pretty helpful bunch...
    Super - thank you!

I could see that happening eventually! There is a body of work I want to make, when that is done, it is hard to say if I will persist with it.