Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: optimizing folding hood shade?

optimizing folding hood shade?

I might be sneaking another "do I really need a darkcloth?" query in the queue, but I'm curious: for those of you rolling with folders (e.g. Horseman FA's, Wista's, etc.) have any of you found a way to increase the functionality of the "pop-up" hoods that double as ground glass protectors?

For myself, I'm finding them pretty much useless (I usually just remove the back as a matter of course before attaching my Blackjacket), but I'm contemplating doing a bit of international travel with my Horseman HF and 6x12 RFB, so space will be at a premium--not to mention I'm trying to keep the faffing-about to a minimum. If there's a "hack" that you've found, I'd really appreciate you sharing it.

Re: optimizing folding hood shade?

Pretty much useless was my conclusion too... I leave it on my camera because it doubles as a ground glass protector.

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    Pretty much useless was my conclusion too...
    Ha, if you haven't hacked it, that might pretty much settle the issue...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    I might be sneaking another "do I really need a darkcloth?" query in the queue, but I'm curious: for those of you rolling with folders (e.g. Horseman FA's, Wista's, etc.) have any of you found a way to increase the functionality of the "pop-up" hoods that double as ground glass protectors?

For myself, I'm finding them pretty much useless (I usually just remove the back as a matter of course before attaching my Blackjacket), but I'm contemplating doing a bit of international travel with my Horseman HF and 6x12 RFB, so space will be at a premium--not to mention I'm trying to keep the faffing-about to a minimum. If there's a "hack" that you've found, I'd really appreciate you sharing it.
    As an alternative, have you considered using a flexible monocular viewer instead?

It basically combines a flexible, rubber hood with a low-power loupe and blocks all light except that which enters from behind the ground-glass on one side and passes through to the loupe on the other side.

They don't fold, exactly, but can be squished flat temporarily with no damage or long-term consequences, plus other (soft) items can be packed inside them during transport.

I know Toyo and Cambo, at least, makes / made them for their 4x5 and 2x3 cameras, as I have one for each of my Toyo cameras. I also successfully used them in lieu of a dark cloth even here in Arizona, with its bright, desert sun.

Unfortunately, they are designed to be used with Toyo backs, so will likely need to be modified to work on another brand of camera.

I started out in LF with a series of Speed Graphics, back in the late 1980s when press cameras were plentiful on the used market.

I tried to use the pop up folding hoods. This never worked well for me. I tended to remove the hood and use a dark cloth.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    As an alternative, have you considered using a flexible monocular viewer instead?
    A-D, that's a great suggestion, especially since Toyo and Horseman accessories seem to be mutually interchangeable. (FWIW, I'm going to be kicking around Dartmoor NP, so I'm expecting to the lighting conditions to be more like your AZ experience than what I'm used to under canopy here in the Smokies.)

Drew, thanks for the data point--I have a Pentax 67 that I'm considering taking instead, but it's been a real revelation about how compactly the press/technical folders pack up.

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post

It basically combines a flexible, rubber hood with a low-power loupe and blocks all light except that which enters from behind the ground-glass on one side and passes through to the loupe on the other side.

They don't fold, exactly, but can be squished flat temporarily with no damage or long-term consequences, plus other (soft) items can be packed inside them during transport.

I know Toyo and Cambo, at least, makes / made them for their 4x5 and 2x3 cameras, as I have one for each of my Toyo cameras. I also successfully used them in lieu of a dark cloth even here in Arizona, with its bright, desert sun.

Unfortunately, they are designed to be used with Toyo backs, so will likely need to be modified to work on another brand of camera.
    Linhof Focus/Metering Bellows. They have a built in two piece loupe. Using the bellows pulled back with the 2x part of the loupe to see the entire gg. Pushed in with the second half of the loupe screwed into the first part allows viewing an area of the gg equal to about a US quarter to view at 4x. The bellows is flexible so you can maneuver the 4x area to any part of the gg.
    Unscrew the 4x part and insert a microscope adapter on any light meter that offers one and now meter the entire gg through the lens or a quarter sized area any place on the gg.
    Want higher magnification? Just swing away the entire bellows, it remains attached to one end of the back, and use any other loupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Linhof Focus/Metering Bellows.
    That sounds really cool--I'm definitely going to have to find a picture or two.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    That sounds really cool--I'm definitely going to have to find a picture or two.
    The original version has only a 2x loupe. The current version has the 2 piece 2x/4x loupe.

Model number is 002503. I believe that it is no longer made.

I use this hood on my Toyo 45A: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...sing_Hood.html

Works good for me. But I have the type of eyes that can focus at 2-3" without my glasses so I seldom use a loupe to focus. This hood folds easily. The new price is scary but you can probably find a used one for under $100. You could probably make something similar for most cameras.