Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To use a UV-Haze Filter or not use a UV-Haze Filter, that is the question...

Re: To use a UV-Haze Filter or not use a UV-Haze Filter, that is the question...

All my FX and MF lenses have UV or similar filters in them. Three times have saved them from "bruising" of the front element. For all of my LF and ULF lenses have never attached a filter to the front of any of them, and this going back to the 1970s. Lens caps both front and rear meticulously always used. Never experienced the slightest incident with the front elements on any of these lenses.

Drew Wiley

Re: To use a UV-Haze Filter or not use a UV-Haze Filter, that is the question...

Thanks, Bob. Most of the serious filter companies offer something similar in terms of guidelines. The old Kodak Wratten guides were excellent in terms of spectrograms, transmission values etc. But I still strongly believe one still has to go beyond basic information and do some testing of their own based on situations they are likely to encounter. But I'm more fussy about hue rendition than most photographers; and decades of high altitude photography gives me an appreciation that even that category of work contains variables. Someone might think 6000 ft equates to high altitude; but to my manner of thinking, that's way down, still in the pollen and haze zone. Up at timberline it has a different connotation. And way up in the Andes or Himalayas, something even more so. So owning just one choice of UV filter doesn't necessarily solve the problem, even if you're only using one kind of film. But I'm thinking of filtration per se.
    I don't like filters merely for protection because any additional element is likely to have at least some optical effect. For something like a Nikon lens, I keep a lens hood attached; that prevents accidents. When I use a view camera, some kind of bellows shade etc does the trick, even if it's raining. When not in use, lenses have their caps on and are well wrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Thanks, Bob. Most of the serious filter companies offer something similar in terms of guidelines. The old Kodak Wratten guides were excellent in terms of spectrograms, transmission values etc. But I still strongly believe one still has to go beyond basic information and do some testing of their own based on situations they are likely to encounter. But I'm more fussy about hue rendition than most photographers; and decades of high altitude photography gives me an appreciation that even that category of work contains variables. Someone might think 6000 ft equates to high altitude; but to my manner of thinking, that's way down, still in the pollen and haze zone. Up at timberline it has a different connotation. And way up in the Andes or Himalayas, something even more so. So owning just one choice of UV filter doesn't necessarily solve the problem, even if you're only using one kind of film.
    Heliopan, B+W, Rollei and most of the other European filters for warming and cooling filters use the decamired system which is additive. 2 KR 1.5 Skylight filters make a KR3.

Kodak used the Wratten system which is not additive.

A bit of reading on the decamired system and the mired value of films and light makes the decamired system much more versatile!

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    No specific information. Just a caution that things may have changed since those tests were done.
    A big problem with this test is that many of the brands tested were private label brands, for instance, Hama. Hama could buy from several different companies and use the same name on all of them. Plus they could change suppliers at any time.

Also there are several companies that have been making filters since this test was done that are not included. Plus not all of the filters tested were the latest versions when they were tested.

For instance, for many years Heliopan sold Kaësmann polarizers and continued to sell them after Dr. Kaësmann died. But they stopped selling them once Schneider bought the Kaësmann company.

Drew Wiley

Yes, Bob. I find myself selecting from both systems to achieve the exact shade I want. Some sky filters are more magenta, some more salmon color; some 81A's basically yellow, and some more amber. But I never stack filters.

I'm primarily shooting with Fuji Velvia/Provia and Kodak Ektar 100.

That said, should I get one of these UV filters? (Besides the nano coating, what's the difference between these two filters? Is one better than the other?)

1.) B+W XS-Pro UV Haze MRC Nano 010M Filter https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/mode/edu
    2.) B+W UV Haze MRC 010M Filter https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/mode/edu

OR, should I just get a B+W Rubber Lens Hood and leave out the filters? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/mode/edu

... crickets...

:/

I am not as particular about cleaning filter glass, as the multicoated surfaces of my lenses. My lens surfaces stay in pristine condition while the easily cleaned filter protects against the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    I'm primarily shooting with Fuji Velvia/Provia and Kodak Ektar 100.

That said, should I get one of these UV filters? (Besides the nano coating, what's the difference between these two filters? Is one better than the other?)

1.) B+W XS-Pro UV Haze MRC Nano 010M Filter https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/mode/edu
    2.) B+W UV Haze MRC 010M Filter https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/mode/edu

OR, should I just get a B+W Rubber Lens Hood and leave out the filters? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/mode/edu
    It seems the glass is the same--MRC is "multi resistant coated", 010M I assume is the glass/tint spec. I don't know if it is just a catalog number, or if there is anything meaningful in it. XS-Pro is their slim mount (F-Pro is their standard mount, though that not listed in the second link).

"This filter uses our XS-Pro Digital mount which is especially suited for DSLRs with wide angle and zoom lenses. It has a front thread for additional accessories such as lens caps or hoods. All XS-Pro Digital mounts are made of brass and are matte black to prevent reflections."

The also make an even slimmer mount that doesn't have front threads called the "Slim-Line"

Does anyone know if those B+W UV/Haze Nano filters will cause lens flares if I'm out doing night photography?

I'm still not sure whether I should get these B+W UV/Haze filters for protecting my lenses from dust/fingerprints/scratches/my OCD over-cleaning or if I should just use a dedicated lens hood instead.

What do you guys think? Seems like most people here are in favor of using it as cheap insurance.

Will using good UV filters impact my image quality, especially if I'm looking to make large and highly detailed prints?