Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Atlas BackPacks for 4x5

Re: Atlas BackPacks for 4x5

Nice write-up, I'm assuming you got the 70L version? Hopefully you'll post some pictures with your load-out. Regarding the belt, I saw one of the Youtube reviews and it looks as if you could swap out the belt with any "Osprey-type" belt (i.e. one with hook-and-loop patch)...the idea of course being you need the padded portion of the belt to wrap far enough that it "cups" your iliac crests. It might be worth spending some time in your local REI, etc., with a pack fitter--the tendency for us "circumferentially challenged" types is for the hipbelt to slide down to where we normally wear our dress belts and thus put too much weight on the shoulders. You might also see whether the pack-stays can be removed and re-shaped, depending on the shape of your lumbar curve.

Its all in after a couple of re-orgs - and even a space for one more lens maybe or small digital camera. Click for larger view if it shows as thumbnail.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Its all in after a couple of re-orgs - and even a space for one more lens maybe or small digital camera. Click for larger view if it shows as thumbnail.

Why is that a useless pocket? Seems the right size for spare cable releases, lens cloth, Rocket Blower, lens fluid or some filters.

Thanks for the image of the inside of your backpack... Where did you get the dividers from?

and even a space for one more lens maybe or small digital camera.
    Bryan is a bad influence. That looks like a very efficient system, though if it were me I'd probably migrate the optics higher in the pack in case the packbag deforms, especially while getting under load or in case you found a rock when dropping the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Bryan is a bad influence. if it were me I'd probably migrate the optics higher in the pack in case the packbag deforms, especially while getting under load or in case you found a rock when dropping the pack.
    I originally placed the holders at the bottom and may swap those rows. I was thinking I liked the tighter fit at bottom for the larger lenses plus having the heavier items lower. I'm still fiddling with it.

Greg, The inserts come with the Atlas packs. They have a strange foamy core that molds to whats around it. BOB, I think the 2 upper pockets are only good for very flat items like memory cards. 1 larger pocket with mesh or stretchiness would have been a better design.

Here is their website if anyone wants more info. https://atlaspacks.com/

Update: I took my new pack out for a spin finally for about a 1.5mile hike so I could determine where adjustments may be needed. With the 8 pound tripod attached the weight is noticeable on my hips, but when just carrying the tripod over my shoulder, the overall pack is comfortable. It did not dig into my back the way the old bag did. The stiff belt makes putting on the fully loaded bag a bit difficult but I will get used to it. No back sweat and was comfortable at hips after some adjusting. I can not reach the water bottle pockets while wearing the pack. The pack was easy to work out of since there was plenty of room and it unzips fully. The weight added by the pack alone has caused me to reduce the amount of tools I carry to just the lens spanner, I may be looking for other weight savings by carrying fewer holder or lenses depending on the outing. If you are less than 5'-10" get the shorter frame.

And just for fun with photoshop:

On my latest Sunday morning adventure I slipped on a rock and ended up sitting in about 10 inches of water with the pack on my back for about 10-15 seconds. Nothing got wet inside. I thought for sure I would have water in my holders. And since my Iphone was in my pants pocket - I get a new iphone, cause they were not waterproof. Some how I kept the Chamonix and top of the tripod out of the water.

I have the latest (before he went out of business) Photobackpacker P3, complete with backer board, which really helps control the load and save my back. It is a panel-loading (opposed to top-loading) pack, so I can lay it down, open the back panel completely, and everything is there. For me, panel-loading makes all the difference. I think this pack is a Granite Gear product.
    Last edited by Peter Collins; 26-Aug-2019 at 20:51. Reason: Added more info
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."