Thread: Today's J. Lane Dry Plate work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Today's J. Lane Dry Plate work

Today's effort with J. Lane Dry Plates, in 8X10. I shot this at about 0.5 ASA, and processed in BER49 (because its what I had) for 7 minutes, and got a very nice negative.
    Camera: Intrepid 8X10 fitted with an old brass Darlot magic lantern lens of some sort. No idea what the F value was (I guessed it around f11). In all, I am very pleased with the result. This Darlot lens actually works very well with dry (and wet) plates.

Re: Today's J. Lane Dry Plate work

Paul, what batch of plates do you have? Purple writing on the back of the box. I ask because at some point there were a couple thin batches and I had to correct that. Wondering if you got one of those.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Paul, what batch of plates do you have? Purple writing on the back of the box. I ask because at some point there were a couple thin batches and I had to correct that. Wondering if you got one of those.
    Hi Jason!
    This is a box I bought from Blue Moon about a year ago - just opened it. It’s batch #014. I have a second box numbered batch #011 that I have used one plate from, which I also metered at 0.5 ASA and got a fairly thin negative.
    The plate I shot today had quite a lot of small and medium pinholes in it, which I don’t recall seeing before. Is that typical?

Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Hi Jason!
    This is a box I bought from Blue Moon about a year ago - just opened it. It’s batch #014. I have a second box numbered batch #011 that I have used one plate from, which I also metered at 0.5 ASA and got a fairly thin negative.
    The plate I shot today had quite a lot of small and medium pinholes in it, which I don’t recall seeing before. Is that typical?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Not anymore. I’ve coated about 7500 plates between that batch and today (and actually the high schooler that helps me coats most of them now). That said, there’s still flaws inherent to hand-coating but for the past few months they’ve been running pretty good. Around batch 37 I kicked the speed up to ASA 2 under early spring conditions (a subtle but important distinction) and had also tuned the contrast to be comparable to film (gamma ~0.7) per my recommended development...so variations from ASA 2 are due to lighting conditions. Same fun shooters in the 1880s faced.

The ASA 25 Orthochromatic plates, on the other hand, are higher contrast and seem to vary less in different lighting conditions.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

love it!

Today's effort with J. Lane Dry Plates, in 8X10. I shot this at about 0.5 ASA, and processed in BER49 (because its what I had) for 7 minutes, and got a very nice negative.
    Camera: Intrepid 8X10 fitted with an old brass Darlot magic lantern lens of some sort. No idea what the F value was (I guessed it around f11). In all, I am very pleased with the result. This Darlot lens actually works very well with dry (and wet) plates.

Quote Originally Posted by eabartel View Post
    love it!
    Thank you very much!

Foamer

Works for me too.

Kent in 3
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

I like this photo. I like the circles of the bokeh and the sharpness of the center. I like the lens.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones