Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from France

Greetings from France

Hi all,

I am Victoria, an Art and Design student from France. I learned a bit about analog photography and enjoyed it, so I began to practice with my grandfather's 35mm camera. He had too, from his father, a 1920 9x12 folding plate camera I have now, and I'd like to understand better how it works before trying one (probably not this one, the mechanism works fine but it isn't in really good condition). I'd like to try medium and large format photography and this forum seems really informative and helpful.

I look forward to learn more from you, thank you.

Re: Greetings from France

Bonjour Victoria, welcome to the forum. Nice to have you from France. I wish you a great journey into large format photography and a lifetime of enjoyment.
    Last edited by Jeff T; 27-May-2019 at 00:17.

Hi Victoria, welcome to a group of wonderful, smart and helpful people.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Welcome!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hi Victoria, welcome aboard. I'm fairly new to large format photography too, only about 6 months since I first picked up a 4x5. It is addictive. You will find answers to most of you questions here in the forums as many of our questions are very similar as we build some confidence. I have found the forum and its very knowledgable and experienced members a wonderful resource. Enjoy the experience. Lorraine

Hello from Besançon, France, Victoria.

Welcome on board. This is a truly International group with many active Europeans, including French!

Regarding the 9x12 [cm] camera you inherited, by all means, keep it preciously, even if you cannot use it easily.

One problem with pre-1940 9x12 European cameras is that there were many different "film" holder types, moreover those "film" holders ("châssis", in French) were design to take glass plates, not film.

Fortunately, as of 2019 there is a modern fabrication of 9x12 cut-film adaptors to use your pre-WW-II 9x12 camera and original glass plate holders with modern 9x12 cm cut-film. English for those adaptors is "sheath".
    See this vendor in Poland ; "Film sheath 9x12cm"
    http//alternativephotographicsupplies.com/category/large-format-photography/wkladka-negatywowa-9x12-cm

Now there are several other problems you may encounter with an old plate camera.
    The bellows can be out of order and no longer light-tight. There exist a couple of companies who will re-fabricate a replacement bellows for your camera.
    The other problem is that the lens can be in such a bad condition, that no picture can be taken.
    If the shutter is, for example, a German Compur shutter, most probably it can be repaired.
    But if lens elements are damaged or affected by fungus, and if you cannot change the lens, like in many "fixed-lens" old glass plate cameras (for example, the Voigtländer Avus is not designed to easily change one lens to another), then ... keep the camera as a part of a precious heirloom, and buy a modern view camera!

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Bonjour from New Jersey, USA.

Bienvenue! M. Bigler is a very knowledgeable contributor to this Forum and he should be able to help you with French and other European sources for equipment and supplies. Look at the number of posts ("messages") he has contributed! I have learned much from his contributions.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Les

Welcome to LF forum, Victoria.

Les