Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: The Setup and the Shot

Re: The Setup and the Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    The best rendition of moving water I have seen in many a year, wonderful.
    Thanks!

Some luck, since my shutter was broken. The longest working speed was 1/15.
    Had it been working then I probably would have used something a bit longer, with too much motion blur.

This is one of my more favorite threads. I like seeing you guys, and your fancy equipment. Here I am just "trying to make it work".

Sagging bellows like an old Italian grandma. I stuff things underneath like Amazon bubble packaging, that day it was my key holder box from Ikea, and a box of sani-wipes. I've worked in LF studios (waayyyy before digital, and yes, we shot everything in 8x10) and the motto was "gaffer tape everything". In house cameras were falling apart, but lenses were pristine. So I just got used to taping up lensboard.

Corresponding shot (also in the "Oct portraits thread)

The corresponding shot is in October portraits but here's the set up with ME!!! That's me!! Probably last shot of me inside a sheet of 8x10 film. I mean, who else is gonna take the pic?

Last edited by ericantonio; 25-Oct-2020 at 08:05. Reason: wrong tags
    --

Like!

both shots
    Tin Can

ericantonio, nice portraits! Seeing your "making it work" set-up reminded me of my discovery years ago of how much of the same is done behind the scenes in Hollywood and other filmmaking. While there are fabulous troves of vast varieties of lighting, rigging, and set tools, and while the kinds of money those folks sometimes throw around could lead you to think that they use nothing but commercially available items, there is constant improvisation with plywood, fabrics, foam core, etc., etc. A good gaffer is far more than the guy who rigs the lighting per instructions from the director of photography. And the DP may also have lo-tech camera adaptations for the $60,000 camera to achieve a certain look.

Anyway, we have our own realm of DIY tools and techniques, as nearly any craft does. As you say, you do what it takes to make it work.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    ericantonio, nice portraits! Seeing your "making it work" set-up reminded me of my discovery years ago of how much of the same is done behind the scenes in Hollywood and other filmmaking. While there are fabulous troves of vast varieties of lighting, rigging, and set tools, and while the kinds of money those folks sometimes throw around could lead you to think that they use nothing but commercially available items, there is constant improvisation with plywood, fabrics, foam core, etc., etc. A good gaffer is far more than the guy who rigs the lighting per instructions from the director of photography. And the DP may also have lo-tech camera adaptations for the $60,000 camera to achieve a certain look.

Anyway, we have our own realm of DIY tools and techniques, as nearly any craft does. As you say, you do what it takes to make it work.
    Oh heck yah! I did this in NYC back at the time when shoots were film and we had in-house film processors. We made everything. One summer from school, they didn't have an assisting job. The studio was half a block big and 5 stories and one of the floors was actually a carpentry department. And one of the floors was shooting furniture in little made up rooms. So one summer, instead of assisting, I worked in carpentry department. We made gobos, light stands, scrims, reflectors for everyone. I learned how to make all that stuff and still today, I'm floored to see how much a scrims and reflectors costs! Yikes!

We had unlimited (seemed like it) Kodak gel filters and nobody had holders. We just rolled tape like weed and stuck it on the lens and the gel filter right on it. Worked great.

And I learned to gaffer tape light stands, gobos and tripods on the floor. Cause there was always some advertising exec who doesn't get the memo and fat foots a light or tripod. Easy fix today if you are shooting digital but with LF gear and a dozen Mole Richardsons lighting up a set to look like a suburban living room, a bump in light or tripod is half an hours work!
    --

Here is one from this summer, photograph taken in July in the Vosges région in eastern France.
    Intrepid MK4
    Fujinon 180mm f5.6
    Kodak TMY

Fuji xpro1 for the camera picture._DSF6040 by renaud henry, sur Flickr

Bouleau001 by renaud henry, sur Flickr

My contribution,

Set up shot, Kodak Ultramax 400 at 200 through Minolta Maxxum 7.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theshot.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	209224

The print on Ilford RC.

Name:	theprint.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	209225

Tim Sandstrom

Quote Originally Posted by dabsond View Post
    My contribution,

Set up shot, Kodak Ultramax 400 at 200 through Minolta Maxxum 7.

Name:	theshot.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	209224

The print on Ilford RC.

Name:	theprint.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	209225
    nice work with what looks to be a crown graphic, a venerable camera!
    Keep it up!

Tim Sandstrom

Quote Originally Posted by RenoAmiens View Post
    Here is one from this summer, photograph taken in July in the Vosges région in eastern France.
    Intrepid MK4
    Fujinon 180mm f5.6
    Kodak TMY
    Luscious detail and tonality, very fine work

Quote Originally Posted by dasBlute View Post
    Luscious detail and tonality, very fine work
    Also well seen and the form of he trunk nicely isolated.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China