Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Americana

Americana

According to Wikipedia, "Americana" is defined as "a collective term for artifacts related to the history, geography, folklore and cultural heritage of the United States of America." I was surprised that a thread specifically for this subject, which I think is a popular one, did not come up in a search of thread titles. So I thought I'd make one.

To start off the thread then is an image I made just outside historic Washington, GA. Last year I drove through this town and saw a curious large statue of a man, one that looked vaguely familiar. Turns out this was one of the many "Muffler Men," huge fiberglass statues used to advertise businesses on the highway, mostly made from a single mold in the 60's and 70's. Read more about them HERE. I have seen a few of these around while travelling - there's an interactive map to find them on that website linked above in fact.

Anyway, I wanted to get a photo but the light was bad and I had somewhere to be so I let it go. But I drive that way somewhat often so I knew I'd come back, and finally early in the day this past Thursday as I took the last leg of a roadtrip home I stopped to make a photograph. Turns out a new restaurant had bought the property and operates there now. I shot this with my Chamonix 45n1 and Nikkor 90mm f/8, on T-Max 100, cropped in a bit:

I look forward to seeing other large format Americana photos.
    Last edited by Corran; 3-Jul-2021 at 15:30.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Americana

These guys should get together.

Rabbit, TV Highway, Aloha, Oregon by Austin Granger, on Flickr

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Good thread Brian, and I can’t think of a better subject than the Elvis American Diner outside of Jerusalem. Among other things there is a bigger-than-life Elvis out front and an interior that blows your mind. If i had a LF of this I’d post it.

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/the-elvis-diner/
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Ha, Harvey's a survivor. Unfortunately, he now has a giant Dutch Bros. coffee cup in his hand, and it kind of ruins it for me. I guess I'll have to wait for his next incarnation. There's also a giant Paul Bunyan here in Portland, very Americana, but I don't have any large format pictures of him.

Austin, how about the Doggie Dinner dogs, you must have a photograph of one of them. There’s still one at the end of Sloat Blvd here in SF. Maybe I get a shot of it.

Bryan great idea for a thread!

R

Great subject, Brian.

this looks like the same guy that was out by the golf course holding a club off the 405 in SoCal. Today he's sporting a race suit now holding a checkered flag at the Porsche Track.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    According to Wikipedia, "Americana" is defined as "a collective term for artifacts related to the history, geography, folklore and cultural heritage of the United States of America." I was surprised that a thread specifically for this subject, which I think is a popular one, did not come up in a search of thread titles. So I thought I'd make one.

To start off the thread then is an image I made just outside historic Washington, GA. Last year I drove through this town and saw a curious large statue of a man, one that looked vaguely familiar. Turns out this was one of the many "Muffler Men," huge fiberglass statues used to advertise businesses on the highway, mostly made from a single mold in the 60's and 70's. Read more about them HERE. I have seen a few of these around while travelling - there's an interactive map to find them on that website linked above in fact.

Anyway, I wanted to get a photo but the light was bad and I had somewhere to be so I let it go. But I drive that way somewhat often so I knew I'd come back, and finally early in the day this past Thursday as I took the last leg of a roadtrip home I stopped to make a photograph. Turns out a new restaurant had bought the property and operates there now. I shot this with my Chamonix 45n1 and Nikkor 90mm f/8, on T-Max 100, cropped in a bit:

I look forward to seeing other large format Americana photos.

Here is the Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox that I shot on 4x5 when on a trip up the West Coast a few years back up through the Redwoods.

John Olsen

Just so we don't think we've got the edge on weirdness, here's a pig in a park. The kid's swinging a mallet at a strength-testing game.

[IMG]Beihai LFF b by John Olsen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sorry for the deviation from the theme.