Thread: Americana

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Americana

According to Wikipedia, "Americana" is defined as "a collective term for artifacts related to the history, geography, folklore and cultural heritage of the United States of America." I was surprised that a thread specifically for this subject, which I think is a popular one, did not come up in a search of thread titles. So I thought I'd make one.

To start off the thread then is an image I made just outside historic Washington, GA. Last year I drove through this town and saw a curious large statue of a man, one that looked vaguely familiar. Turns out this was one of the many "Muffler Men," huge fiberglass statues used to advertise businesses on the highway, mostly made from a single mold in the 60's and 70's. Read more about them HERE. I have seen a few of these around while travelling - there's an interactive map to find them on that website linked above in fact.

Anyway, I wanted to get a photo but the light was bad and I had somewhere to be so I let it go. But I drive that way somewhat often so I knew I'd come back, and finally early in the day this past Thursday as I took the last leg of a roadtrip home I stopped to make a photograph. Turns out a new restaurant had bought the property and operates there now. I shot this with my Chamonix 45n1 and Nikkor 90mm f/8, on T-Max 100, cropped in a bit:

I look forward to seeing other large format Americana photos.
    Last edited by Corran; 3-Jul-2021 at 15:30.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome