Thread: Research need - John schuerholz brass Lens

John Scheidig brass Petzval Lens

To the intrepid researchers on this site, I need some help. I took a chance on what looks like a small petzval. The pictures were very blurry and I have to trust the seller read the engraving correctly: "John schuerholz & Co New York" Why did I buy it? Because that type of formal script engraving is usually on Early American lenses, from the 1850s - 1870s. And because New York was the center of the universe for early radial drive portrait lenses like CC Harrison and Holmes Booth Haydens that everybody knows. But also a handful of more obscure radial drive makers. The pictures don't even show the drive, which would have really answered my hypothesis quickly. So I decided to buy and find out. If anyone has heard of this John Schuerholz (not the baseball manager), in any period advertisements, let me know. I've been stumped so far in my research.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	191681
    Last edited by goamules; 29-May-2019 at 05:28.

Re: Research need - John schuerholz brass Lens

Update: The seller butchered the name, and had it all wrong. It's a John Scheidig & Co. lens, I updated the thread title. I just got it in the mail and saw the actual spelling. When you get the name right, it's easy to research. They were an optical company, that made eyeglasses, magnifying glasses, magic lanterns, slides for them, and stereo views in the 1880s and 90s. That's all that I've found so far.

It's a very heavy, well made lens that's been around the block. The glass is still sparkling clear. Still trying to figure out if they made this lens, or bought it for rebranding with their name. The front and rear elements are encased in thick, deep settings that are not the usual. The hood can come off without the front elements. The brasswork is not Darlot, several things are quite different. If it's a magic lantern lens, it's one of the more unusual ones I've seen, out of hundreds that are usually that one maker. It's closer to a Gasc & Charconnet, but not exactly. Could be a Derogy, but I've not had enough of those to remember their details. No writing on the edges of the glass. It's an 8" focal length, about F5 I'd guess.

Re: Research need - John schuerholz brass Lens

French - but by the 1890's there were a lot of minor houses making lenses so it is impossible to give them a name unless there is edge writing. The lens hood is a little too short to be early.
    I found the following advert from 1889. A lot of magic lantern makers engraved their credentials on the lens rather than the thin iron body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg