Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic B&W Developing setup for 4x5

Basic B&W Developing setup for 4x5

I'm wondering what the easiest way to get some 4x5 B&W developing done would be.

I have a Jobo ATL1500 - in storage, and multiple 25xx series tanks and reels, here at home.

Could I use the tanks and reels and do manual processing, simply capping the tank for inversion every minute or so? It would need a lot of developer to cover everything.

I could also go get the Jobo out of storage, but it's pretty far away. Hoping to avoid that.

I've also seen the BTZS tubes, $75 for a set of three, is this system any good? Is there any point when I already have Jobo tanks? I guess BTZS uses (much) less chemicals per tank.

There's also the Kickstarter backed SP-445 system, which is comparable in price to the BTZS tube set.

I'm developing APX100 and Tri-X in Rodinal, in case it matters.

Thanks!

Re: Basic B&W Developing setup for 4x5

To start, I'd use tray development, in any 4x5 tupperware like container, you can fix with lights open.

You may place the trays inside paper safe or other light tight box to have a daylight processing.

David Schaller

You can use the Jobo tanks and reels for inversion processing, it just takes a lot of chemistry. But that’s how I process 4x5 often, with Pyrocat HD.

One Ziplock Bag works anywhere...
    Tin Can

BTZS works well and allows you to tailor your development for each sheet. If you use Jobo, you basically surrender one of the key benefits of large format photography. When you think about it, processing for maximum throughput or maximum chemistry efficiency may not be your first priority.

To be clearer, I don't have a darkroom, nor a room in the house that can be made dark (skylights everywhere, unfortunately). I have a changing bag, that's about it for portable darkness.

One of my Jobo tanks is the smallest size, fits only one reel, that might be an option and would allow me to develop one or two sheets at a time for individual development. I may just test that out a few times to see how it fares.

I'm intrigued by the ziplock bag suggestion, how exactly does that work?

Any comments or comparisons between the BTZS and SP-445 systems in the event I decide to buy something specifically for the task?

I don't think you can use the BTZS tube with just a changing bag. There are a few videos on YouTube that will show you how it works. You need to open the tube to pour in the developer. You will end up working only at night, on the floor and under the kitchen sink (figuratively) at this rate. Jobo has a specific 4x5 sheet film reel. Other than the SP445, there is also the Mod 45 Patterson tank insert and the BW-King development tank.

I do not have a darkroom. I develop four sheets at a time in the Stearman SP-445. I load it in a standard change bag and process in full light. The system is economical and works very well. If you choose to go this route, read the instructions carefully and watch the videos Tim has made available. In particular, watch the video about squeezing the container before sealing to prevent leaks.

Very simple. Put one sheet of film in, add chems, zip it shut. Agitate. You can even wash right in it.

I was having problems with scratching double sided X-Ray and SergeiR suggested I try Zip Locks.

No scratches!

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    To be clearer, I don't have a darkroom, nor a room in the house that can be made dark (skylights everywhere, unfortunately). I have a changing bag, that's about it for portable darkness.

One of my Jobo tanks is the smallest size, fits only one reel, that might be an option and would allow me to develop one or two sheets at a time for individual development. I may just test that out a few times to see how it fares.

I'm intrigued by the ziplock bag suggestion, how exactly does that work?

Any comments or comparisons between the BTZS and SP-445 systems in the event I decide to buy something specifically for the task?
    Tin Can

BTZS tubes is how I started and I still use them depending on my needs. Very efficient, excellent consistency using constant agitation in a sink, and pretty cheap. I personally started with a half-bath that I more-or-less light-proofed with a towel at the base of the door, but I can't see why a bag/tent wouldn't work as long as you are careful not to knock over the caps with the chemicals in it. You fill the caps first and have them ready to attach the main tube to, once the film is loaded into it in the dark / bag. Definitely would probably opt for a tent for more room and less risk to knocking things over if I had to.

For more throughput I use HP Combiplan tanks. I develop up to 12 sheets at a time, back-to-back in the 6-sheet holder for max efficiency (just takes extra fix/wash time to get the back of the sheets cleared).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome