Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic B&W Developing setup for 4x5

Re: Basic B&W Developing setup for 4x5

Suggest using your Jobo tanks with a roller base as the ATL1500 is not currently available. This way you'll get some experience loading and using these Jobo tanks for sheet film. At some future date when the ATL1500 is available and properly set up the transition would be easier with what was learned transferable.

Having used the Jobo 25xx series with 4x5 reels in the past, they work good. Can be tricky to load even with the 4x5 loader.

Alternatives range from tray, tubes, and 4x5 stainless steel tanks like the Nikkor which will do 12 sheets at a load.

Bernice

I used to use the 2500 series tanks with 2509n? reels, and instead of a roller base, I filled a large tupperware tub with water and floated the tank horizontally for rotary processing. I simply used my hands to spin the floating tank. I was easy and worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    I'm wondering what the easiest way to get some 4x5 B&W developing done would be.

I have a Jobo ATL1500 - in storage, and multiple 25xx series tanks and reels, here at home.

Could I use the tanks and reels and do manual processing, simply capping the tank for inversion every minute or so? It would need a lot of developer to cover everything.

I could also go get the Jobo out of storage, but it's pretty far away. Hoping to avoid that.

I've also seen the BTZS tubes, $75 for a set of three, is this system any good? Is there any point when I already have Jobo tanks? I guess BTZS uses (much) less chemicals per tank.

There's also the Kickstarter backed SP-445 system, which is comparable in price to the BTZS tube set.

I'm developing APX100 and Tri-X in Rodinal, in case it matters.

Thanks!
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Well, if you don't have some dark real estate, you will have to develop in a tank of some sort...Some of the other methods mentioned can work, but the next wet step is getting solutions onto dry films, then changing them after an interval while still in the dark..

Steve K

One doesn't strictly need a wheeled or motorised device for rotation with Jobo tanks, in order to save chemicals and improve agitation. Tape a couple of bits of wood section to the table top, parallel and reasonably level, longer than one tank circumference -- these will allow rolling on the parallel sides of the tank by lifting the orange band(s) off the table. Roll the tank backwards and forwards along that, picking it up and giving it a random extra distance of rotation every now and then. In the most desperate scenario you can roll the thing along the edge of a tabletop, if it's failry level front to back. Of course these options provide zero temperature control, so the suggestion above (post 12) about spinning the tank in a water-bath, like some pseudo-BTZS tube, would help with temperature problems for E6 or C41.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    BTZS tubes is how I started and I still use them depending on my needs. Very efficient, excellent consistency using constant agitation in a sink, and pretty cheap. I personally started with a half-bath that I more-or-less light-proofed with a towel at the base of the door, but I can't see why a bag/tent wouldn't work as long as you are careful not to knock over the caps with the chemicals in it. You fill the caps first and have them ready to attach the main tube to, once the film is loaded into it in the dark / bag. Definitely would probably opt for a tent for more room and less risk to knocking things over if I had to.

For more throughput I use HP Combiplan tanks. I develop up to 12 sheets at a time, back-to-back in the 6-sheet holder for max efficiency (just takes extra fix/wash time to get the back of the sheets cleared).
    Putting a piece of plastic window screen between the backs of the two sheets should eliminate the extra wet time which will also minimize grain. This is how processing was taught at UofMontana.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    To start, I'd use tray development, in any 4x5 tupperware like container, you can fix with lights open.

You may place the trays inside paper safe or other light tight box to have a daylight processing.
    You can turn lights on after the film is immersed in the fixer!

A daylight processor like the CombiPlan T allows you to fill and empty chemistry in full room light. A paper safe can not do this so it is not a daylight capable processor.
    Also, many paper safes can have the light tight drawer hold up slightly when closed and this would cause fogging!

That's a good tip Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Putting a piece of plastic window screen between the backs of the two sheets should eliminate the extra wet time which will also minimize grain. This is how processing was taught at UofMontana.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    I'm wondering what the easiest way to get some 4x5 B&W developing done would be.

I have a Jobo ATL1500 - in storage, and multiple 25xx series tanks and reels, here at home.

Could I use the tanks and reels and do manual processing, simply capping the tank for inversion every minute or so? It would need a lot of developer to cover everything.

I could also go get the Jobo out of storage, but it's pretty far away. Hoping to avoid that.

I've also seen the BTZS tubes, $75 for a set of three, is this system any good? Is there any point when I already have Jobo tanks? I guess BTZS uses (much) less chemicals per tank.

There's also the Kickstarter backed SP-445 system, which is comparable in price to the BTZS tube set.

I'm developing APX100 and Tri-X in Rodinal, in case it matters.

Thanks!

The CombiPlan T would be easiest. And it can take 12 sheets when processing B&W back to back. The last model was the HP CombiPlan t, earlier ones were labeled Gepe, Linhof or Krause, who was the inventor.

Foamer

I've been using the SP-445 and really love it. It's simple to use & load, very compact, and does a great job. I load mine in an interior bathroom at night but once did it in the back of my car using a dark bag. I made a simple internal frame out of PVC tube so the bag would have some shape and give me unobstructed room to work. I then processed the film outdoor in daylight. At home I just process using my kitchen counter & sink once it's loaded. You can do from 1 to 4 sheets at a time. I can't imagine anything easier than the SP-445. I could easily backpack with the little tank and a dark bag and process 4x5 dry plates at remote waterfalls etc. if I needed to.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Very simple. Put one sheet of film in, add chems, zip it shut. Agitate. You can even wash right in it.

I was having problems with scratching double sided X-Ray and SergeiR suggested I try Zip Locks.

No scratches!
    Also there are chep light tight Ziplock bags...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	191721

This would also be a perfect daylight tank for travelling

Another choice would be using a photopaper black T bag to place a regular ziplock inside... for daylight convenience...