Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Old(er) lens cleaning best practices?

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: Old(er) lens cleaning best practices?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Once a year I run all my lenses through the washing machine, whether they need it or not. I use the "Delicates" cycle. Don't want to overdo it...

The lenses that need the most care in cleaning are the early single-coated lenses, 1945-'60 or so. The early coatings are pretty soft and loosely attached.
    I am surprised nobody has followed up on your comment. Do you put the lens (alone) or with the barrel in the washer? What kind of detergent do you use?
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    I am surprised nobody has followed up on your comment. Do you put the lens (alone) or with the barrel in the washer? What kind of detergent do you use?
    Front loader or top loader?

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    If it’s not too personal to ask, do you use the outside or inside of the t-shirt?
    The INSIDE, and Fruit of the Loom tank top of course ! I must admit I only do this delicate operation after guzzling a 30pack of Natural Ice.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Detergent? I just use HC-110, and some fixer in the fabric softener reservoir. That way I can put my film in too, and process it at the same time. I'm surprised all you experienced photographers don't know these things...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Add lens softener to the rinse cycle if the soft look is desired.

Bernice

So, I gather no special treatment needed. So I'll use my Giotto Rocket, my camel hair brush, and 99% isopropyl alcohol with microfiber cloth, per usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
    So, I gather no special treatment needed. So I'll use my Giotto Rocket, my camel hair brush, and 99% isopropyl alcohol with microfiber cloth, per usual.
    Actually there is a special treatment. First make sure the microfiber cloth is clean, it it isn’t, shake it out and hand wash it with a detergent for delicate fabrics and air dry it.
    Next use a high quality, non smudging lens cleaning solution, I use either Novoflex or Giottos cleaners. Place a few drops on the cloth, turn the cloth over and gently wipe the surface of the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Actually there is a special treatment. First make sure the microfiber cloth is clean, it it isn’t, shake it out and hand wash it with a detergent for delicate fabrics and air dry it.
    Next use a high quality, non smudging lens cleaning solution, I use either Novoflex or Giottos cleaners. Place a few drops on the cloth, turn the cloth over and gently wipe the surface of the lens.
    Well....that's really not special treatment for older lenses, right? Those are good practices for cleaning all lenses! My concern was mostly with the older coatings, but thanks for the advice!

Back in the 1990s, when the old Houston Camera Show was big, I handled a lot of pre-War cameras and lenses. The uncoated lenses for Speed Graphics and others seemed to clean up OK by removing the lens elements and gently hand washing(not immersing) them with dish soap and cold water, followed by a distilled water rinse and alcohol. . . air dried without rubbing.

The early lens coatings were pretty soft, I understand. I left them pretty much alone; maybe a gentle brush with a rolled up lens tissue that had been torn . . .or just caned air.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
    Well....that's really not special treatment for older lenses, right? Those are good practices for cleaning all lenses! My concern was mostly with the older coatings, but thanks for the advice!
    Right!