Thread: Continuous Processing with Dektol or PolyMax RT???

Continuous Processing with Dektol or PolyMax RT???

I have a bit of an odd question.

I develop prints in Jobo 2800 tanks using 2 minutes of continuous rotation. I am currently using Dektol and it is getting close to time that I get some more.

I just read Kodak's datasheet on their print processing chemicals and in the table it shows that Dektol is only intended for tray processing. Instead they recommend that PolyMax RT be used for continuous processing.

It really doesn't matter to me which developer I buy but I am curious what people using the Jobo system are doing?

Should I buy Dektol again, which seems to work, or should I pick up some of the Polymax instead?
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Re: Continuous Processing with Dektol or PolyMax RT???

Roller transport machines use a replenished system so that is probably the reason for that recommendation. I often end up using Dektol for film processing in tubes and it works great. Reusing the solution is possibly an issue if you are doing that, due to the faster oxidation in the Jobo compared to a tray. But if it works, it works.

As Mr. Crabtree said, Polymax RT was meant for roller-transport processors. It was meant to be replenished, and to run at a higher temperature (95F? can't remember now)
    I operated and maintained a 16" wide Kodak Polymax paper processor (made by Hope Industries) during my later years at Kodak, and it used Polymax RT developer. When occasionally we processed prints in trays, that's the developer we used, because it was handy. It worked just fine at room temp too. Ana advantage to Polymax RT is that it's a liquid concentrate... no powders to mix. RT might work very well for you if you don't mind buying a relatively large quantity.

Thanks.

I have always used Dektol and, beyond my own screwups, never had any problem. When I read the chart I was a bit confused so I thought I would ask.

I have never tried replenishment but have always used Dektol one shot for each run. It probably is possible to get more than one set of prints (I am doing 8x10s) from one mix but I've never really tried since one gallon of Dektol develops quite a few prints already.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and order another packet of Dektol as planned and keep on printing.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan