Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 for road trip

Re: 4x5 for road trip

I don't know anything about a Maxwell screen . . .what is the complication? The Graphic screen of course comes out with three tiny screws and metal clips. Maybe I should look into a Maxwell screen for my Wista made Zone VI. What is this product?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I don't know anything about a Maxwell screen . . .what is the complication? The Graphic screen of course comes out with three tiny screws and metal clips. Maybe I should look into a Maxwell screen for my Wista made Zone VI. What is this product?
    Super bright yet expensive screen. Read about it here... http://www.rolleirepairs.com/maxscreen.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_2kvBDg63s&t=281s

Maxwell screen

Just to add my two cents, I have a small and lightweight Horseman 4x5 FA, screen is bright enough without modifying it and body is all metal so very robust. I have a Shen Hao 4x5 and several others but have gone back to my small Horseman because it is easy to pack, easy to setup.

Whew . . .$300 and up for a medium format screen . . .what about a 4x5 or 8x10? Must be well over $500.

Who inas this product for Large Formats?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Whew . . .$300 and up for a medium format screen . . .what about a 4x5 or 8x10? Must be well over $500.

Who inas this product for Large Formats?
    It is. Expensive I know... And you order direct from Bill Maxwell. I've always wanted to try one... It's always been the weak link in all my large format setups. If I could eliminate a loup and dark cloth for 50 percent of outside setups...it would be worth 500 easy. For me.. The dark cloth puts me too close to screen to properly judge composition.

Good stufrf on the Intense Screen.

What is the potential issue with installing one in a Speed Graphic? Is it more complex than a simple drop-in?

Now back to the OP: What is your current thinking on the Road Trip 4x5 kit?

For road-side scenic overlooks you might consider aone (or a pair) of TravelWides I; one with a 65mm and the other with a 90mm. The 65 will be an infinity point and shoot. The 90 pretty much the same, but with the ability to scale focus a bit closer. Hand-held can be a plus too.

Can't get a set up much simpler than that . . . .of course there is no rise/fall (so squat?)

Please let us know what you do.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Good stufrf on the Intense Screen.

What is the potential issue with installing one in a Speed Graphic? Is it more complex than a simple drop-in?

Now back to the OP: What is your current thinking on the Road Trip 4x5 kit?

For road-side scenic overlooks you might consider aone (or a pair) of TravelWides I; one with a 65mm and the other with a 90mm. The 65 will be an infinity point and shoot. The 90 pretty much the same, but with the ability to scale focus a bit closer. Hand-held can be a plus too.

Can't get a set up much simpler than that . . . .of course there is no rise/fall (so squat?)

Please let us know what you do.

Hey Drew I like the idea of those wonderlust cameras. I had and used a cambo wide for a few years, and I did like it. It was sure fast to use. I don't think you can buy one of those travelwide camera's yet though. I think I paid $650 for the 65 Cambo Wide with lens. I could never find a viewfinder for it though - and I searched for a long time and finally wound up getting frustrated and sold it. But I guess if I could find one with a good viewfinder, that would have a bit of rise, might be something to consider again.

I use rise alot. Sometimes just a tiny bit. I have and LOVE a mamiya 6 rangefinder that goes everywhere with me.

I think the issue with the speed/crown's and trying to brighten the screen comes when people try to use a Fresnel - because on the speeds and crowns it goes on the wrong side of the ground glass. I'm not entirely sure to be honest, just ran across lots of complicated conversations about it. But I think the maxwell screen would just pop right in.

Right now I am really leaning toward option A)getting the maxwell screen for my crown and using that with the 135mm on it or B)getting a 5x7 walker titan wide. I have a nikkor 150mm for my 8x10 i really love, that i could use more if i had a 5x7....and I could get 6x17 back for it which I have had an itch for over the years.

I see the TravelWides on e-Bay once in a while now. I have one ,with the 90mm Schneider 6.8 mounted, and it is both light . . .and a bit delicate. I am a little rough on equipment.

Whatever you wind up taking on your road trip, pleas elet us know2 . . .and have fun!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Many years ago I purchased an Ebony new Wide 45 from Midwest camera for just the reasons you mention. I use it with 65,90 and a 150 on a reversed recessed board. It is very fast to use. It came with a fairly bright screen which I wasn’t really happy with, so I got a Maxwell screen. Unlike the majority here, I wasn’t thrilled and went back to a plain ground glass. I am very happy using it with the plain ground glass, maybe just because my other view cameras have plain glass also.

Quote Originally Posted by arthur berger View Post
    Many years ago I purchased an Ebony new Wide 45 from Midwest camera for just the reasons you mention. I use it with 65,90 and a 150 on a reversed recessed board. It is very fast to use. It came with a fairly bright screen which I wasn’t really happy with, so I got a Maxwell screen. Unlike the majority here, I wasn’t thrilled and went back to a plain ground glass. I am very happy using it with the plain ground glass, maybe just because my other view cameras have plain glass also.
    So, looking at the ebony's on ebay I see some in pretty rough shape for like $2k. I also see a walker titan brand new bought from Mike Walker for $1650. Would you go for another ebony at this point or with a walker?