Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 for road trip

4x5 for road trip

Looking for suggestions for a fast setting up 4x5 to work from car with on the road. Need 90 and wider, front rise/fall mostly, easy maxwell screen swap or bright from the start, and fast setup. Bulk and weight won't matter. I've made a box to keep monorail setup and ready to go in in the past and it worked good... But will be flying before road trip and not an option this time. I've used sinar monorails, speed/crowns, cambo wides in the past and have sorta ruled them out looking for other suggestions thanks.

Re: 4x5 for road trip

Hi Steve,

You might look at the Toyo Metal Field Camera:

reviewed by QT Luong @ https://www.largeformatphotography.info/toyo0.html

recently offered for sale on this forum by BS Kumar @ https://www.largeformatphotography.i...l+field+camera

I have 3 of these cameras and can mount a Schneider SUPER-ANGULON XL 58mm f5.6 Lens without a recessed lensboard. Kind of like a Crown Graphic but with a reversible back. Quick to set up.

Namaste,
    Daniel

Non-folding view cameras have interested me in this respect (fast set-up). This is a nice one: http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras/45h1

My present 5x7, an old Eastman View No.2, is a fine example of a non-folding camera, but with limited movements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EV2_5x7b.jpg   EV2_5x7a.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Non-folding Ebony cameras such as the RSW45, SW45, or 45s are good candidates for a fast setup, easy-to-pack camera if you don't need a lot of extension; the first two would allow more movement with wide angle lenses. Shen-hao also has a 4x5 non-folder.

The Chamonix 45H-1 specs look awfully good. I have never used one but there are a number of threads here about it. Be sure to review this thread (it describes the similar 45Hs-1) for more detail on the handling and focusing characteristics:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ix-Hs-1-Review

thanks everyone, looking at them.

That Ebony RSW45 seems pretty great, but finding one may be a problem

The 45H-1 looks promising too.

How about a Walker Titan XL? Since we're spending your money and not our own, you might even get the 5x7 with the reducing back.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    How about a Walker Titan XL? Since we're spending your money and not our own, you might even get the 5x7 with the reducing back.
    For some reason in my head I thought these cost more? I like the 57 with 45 back idea, but I dont see the back's priced on the website. Guess I will email them.

Back in the day. . .when we had no money: The quickest set up I have ever traveled with was a Speed Graphic. I brought it because that is what I had, but the set up was a snap.
    \
    The lens stayed mounted and was safely stored when the camera boedy was closed, saving fumble-time in fishing itr out and mounting ti.

I had only the one lens; a 135 in a dial-set compur shutter, but these cameras will mount and work with a 90mm (but not anything shorter I think).

With all that said, and if your resources/budget will allow . . .and weight is not an issue, I would suggest one of the Technika models. Moer sophisticated, modern desigh, able to leap rtall buildings etc.

The set up will be about the same as my old Speed Graphic and you can keep a lens mounted to it for that fleeting opportunity in changing light.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Back in the day. . .when we had no money: The quickest set up I have ever traveled with was a Speed Graphic. I brought it because that is what I had, but the set up was a snap.
    \
    The lens stayed mounted and was safely stored when the camera boedy was closed, saving fumble-time in fishing itr out and mounting ti.

I had only the one lens; a 135 in a dial-set compur shutter, but these cameras will mount and work with a 90mm (but not anything shorter I think).

With all that said, and if your resources/budget will allow . . .and weight is not an issue, I would suggest one of the Technika models. Moer sophisticated, modern desigh, able to leap rtall buildings etc.

The set up will be about the same as my old Speed Graphic and you can keep a lens mounted to it for that fleeting opportunity in changing light.

Hey Drew, I have a super nice crown graphic that I enjoy using, but the screen is super dim and despite lots of reading couldn't figure out how to swap out the screen with a maxwell. If I could swap out that screen I would probably just use it. Lots of threads about it, here and apug, but nothing definitive I could find. I mean, I guess I could put one in, take a photo of a ruler on an angle, and just adjust from there, but that's alot of work

the ebony is an amazing camera but $$$$ you get what you pay for sort of but for practicality the Toyo or Wista field cameras are fast to set up and nearly bulletproof when folded and can be had for a lot less.
    i was just about to list my Chamonix N-1 on Ebay It was the original model by Chamonix back in the old days (2009) it is one of the lightest options out there, mine is all black which was a custom color made for me by the factory. looks sorta like the ebony.