Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Talk me out of) offering people at scenic tourist site to have their LF photo taken

Re: (Talk me out of) offering people at scenic tourist site to have their LF photo ta

Magne G -- What if the fellow with a large format next to you offers instant prints in almost any size in a few minutes? He has a big old camera with a large lens board through which protrudes the lens of a digital camera, and a cable leading to a laptop computer and printer. Most people will never notice the difference between your camera and his, but will appreciate his prompt and flexible service.

Foamer

Re: (Talk me out of) offering people at scenic tourist site to have their LF photo ta

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Magne G -- What if the fellow with a large format next to you offers instant prints in almost any size in a few minutes? He has a big old camera with a large lens board through which protrudes the lens of a digital camera, and a cable leading to a laptop computer and printer. Most people will never notice the difference between your camera and his, but will appreciate his prompt and flexible service.
    LOL!!!!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

You will get more attention if there's a parrot on your shoulder, and playing a ukulele... ;-)

Steve K

Les

Don't wan't to debate what's right or wrong, but I think Steve (above) has a point, whether it was tongue-in-cheek. Sure, portraiture can be ultra serious endeavor and looking at images from previous years (century back +), however does it really needs to be ? IMO one could have a lots of fun with props (forget ukulele :>) to liven up the scene or image....it just takes some imagination. Anyway, the more playful, usually the more memorable. Halsman's Dali shot w/flying cats could be considered as one of these,but there are others. One can develope own style w/o emulating anything....I know, the contrarians will jump in that everything has been done....

Les

This might be more interesting as an art project. Maybe do a Kickstarter project to raise funds to travel to the sites and shoot, and for the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    From 1985 to 2001 I saw an old guy with a good Polaroid outfit with flash hit every major Rock nightclub 2 or 3 times a night.

Big clubs with lots of weirdos, me included.

He usually approached couples dancing or smooching but was ready for anything.

He was quick, in and out if nothing 'developed' but back again in 2 hours.

But i watched him shoot lots of folk, $5 per instant print. He could make $50 in 1/2 an hour.

He had to make 2 to 4 yards a night, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

Looked like WeeGee without a hat.

He worked 9pm to 4am.
    We used to have a few of those fellows here on Beale Street up until the early 2000s. Somewhere there are a couple of photos of my wife and I dancing at Rum Boogie.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Don't wan't to debate what's right or wrong, but I think Steve (above) has a point, whether it was tongue-in-cheek. Sure, portraiture can be ultra serious endeavor and looking at images from previous years (century back +), however does it really needs to be ? IMO one could have a lots of fun with props (forget ukulele :>) to liven up the scene or image....it just takes some imagination. Anyway, the more playful, usually the more memorable. Halsman's Dali shot w/flying cats could be considered as one of these,but there are others. One can develope own style w/o emulating anything....I know, the contrarians will jump in that everything has been done....

Les
    Really, not being snarky, as Diane Arbus would go to Central Park or a demonstration dressed as a harmless hippy lady with a flower on her camera that relaxed her subjects... Or we have all seen pictures taken at an amusement park with subject's heads poking through a plywood background with a painting of them flying a biplane or other image, or pix of kids on the back of a live donkey, Civil War outfits etc... Lots of fun!!!

I think the idea of a book is much better, as these days, people are less trusting to who they hand cash to, but you can cover expenses other ways... The only way in public would be some way to provide on site instant results, but also too slow to process and mail results to them... (Your time is money!!!)

Then there's selling prints, postcards etc there or somewhere else like online, art fairs etc...

But one hook is that not many do this anymore (as mentioned), so a novelty, so maybe a way somehow...

Steve K

As much as people like to learn about old wood cameras, they also don't want to pay for something that isn't available right then and there. But every location is different. Try it for a few weeks. Come back and tell US how it works. In my experience, with wetplates that are available 5 minutes later, you'll get about 1 out of 500 people what want a plate. Even if it's priced at a no profit price of $25, most people would rather go buy three $12 hamburgers and three $8 beers.

But if you go to an art show, or photographic history show, it may be different. Or a Civil War battlefield reenactment. Just tourists at a scenic overview? You'll spend 8 hours to make $100.

I have a set up with a 5x7 camera, with split backs for 2 and 4 images that I will be using to make vintage military portraits with. I have a space available in the local Navy Exchange food court where I will set up the camera, backdrop, and 2 photofloods. I will take picture of each size to make a package which will sell for $40. I will have to do the darkroom work (contact prints) after the shoot, and then deliver the photos. I am hoping to take two people per session because I am limited by my developing tank and film holders. I think it will work but I won't be making a lot of money at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironage View Post
    I have a set up with a 5x7 camera, with split backs for 2 and 4 images that I will be using to make vintage military portraits with. I have a space available in the local Navy Exchange food court where I will set up the camera, backdrop, and 2 photofloods. I will take picture of each size to make a package which will sell for $40. I will have to do the darkroom work (contact prints) after the shoot, and then deliver the photos. I am hoping to take two people per session because I am limited by my developing tank and film holders. I think it will work but I won't be making a lot of money at first.
    You will have much happier subjects if you throw out the photofloods and use strobe. They will be cooler and not have contracted pupils and you will not be buying bulbs constantly. Plus, if you are doing color you will have much truer colors and more constant color over time and not be bothered by voltage fluctuations which will change the floods output and color and, since floods deposit the residue of the filiment’s burning on the globe of the bulb you will eliminate that output reduction as well. Lastly they are far less fragile and less likely to explode!