Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (Talk me out of) offering people at scenic tourist site to have their LF photo taken

Question (Talk me out of) offering people at scenic tourist site to have their LF photo taken

Hi! I'm in the process of reading up on LF photography and (hopefully) buying my first LF camera. I also have this idea I might need help to be talked out of. I'm not imagining I will get my camera and be able (or wanting) to do this right away. But let's assume I learn to use the camera and want to try what I'm describing below for a summer. What am I forgetting that makes it impossible?

I would set up a LF camera at a scenic tourist spot and offer people to have their photo taken with a scenic background and order a scan or enlargements in various sizes of the photo (or maybe even the negative itself), which I will send them after some days (after I have had the film developed and scanned).

I believe a LF camera would attract a lot of attention. Visitors would learn that they get offered something else than a standard selfie: a professional, high-quality photo of their visit as a souvenir. That they won't be able to see the result until some days (or weeks) later is something I believe would make the whole thing even more exciting (but I might be mistaken). I would make a poster or something that explains all the manual work that goes into the photo (including preparing and developing the film) and demonstrate that they get a photo of exceptional (technical) quality (I am, however, uncertain how many people really care about that).

Of course, the main deterrent would be the price. How much would buying, developing and scanning each sheet of film cost? (My guesstimate: More than 10 €, assuming larger quantities?) The availability and price of a permit for this kind of commercial activity depends on the tourist site, of course. I guess customer management would not be too much of a hassle if people pay before they have their picture taken and if extra orders afterwards are handled by a (well-functioning) web site. I don't know how many customers would be interested in anything besides a digital file and some copies (not enlargements), but assuming that this would not be a sizable source of income, how much would I need to charge (say for a digital scan and a 4x5 copy)? Maybe 35 €? For how many people would the product justify the price?

As far as I can see, most work besides taking the picture can be handled quite effectively (given some time to improve stuff), but there is no way around loading sheets in film holders manually, is there? Say I manage to shoot 30 photos in a day, that means a lot of work. Is it doable? Is there a better alternative? Am I missing something else?

I'm in no way convinced about this idea but really curious what you think.

Re: (Talk me out of) offering people at scenic tourist site to have their LF photo ta

If you do this in a state or federal park, it will be considered a commercial operation and you will need to get the required permit(s). Which you may not get and/or afford to get (insurance required, limitations on where and when you can operate, etc).

This is the USA -- you'll need to check on the regulations in what ever country you are in.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Re: (Talk me out of) offering people at scenic tourist site to have their LF photo ta

A large format camera does get a different reaction from people. You have to remember though that most people don't even know you can still buy film; at least that is the reaction I get from a wide range of people. I like the slower working of the large format camera and the way people relate differently to the process, particularly if exposures are long. I'm not sure any of that is what people visiting a tourist site want, and beyond that I'm not sure the customer is going to think he is getting anything special, or how the large format camera is making the product better. The tourist site itself may be a saleable large format product, but I'm not convinced that putting tourists in front of it will make that better. In most historical instances it seems that kind of work has been done at the very cheapest end of the price spectrum. If you could find a way to make it appealing as a luxury item that would be great. I don't think price itself is an issue, and if you can find a way to do this at a high price point it will probably be more likely to work out (something it took me a long time to understand).

I take my 8x10 and down to 4x5 cameras on location to a few dances I attend and make a few portraits. 3 or 4 a night is a lot for me, and about 8 is as many as I've done, or care to do. I give the people a print, and tell them I make up the loss on volume. I like this because I can make the pictures I want and make the subjects happy in general.

A few other thoughts. Wet plate is a unique process that should bring a premium price and might be of interest to history minded people. Lots more logistical issues. Or just find a setting where people would be more relaxed, interested in the process, and likely to give you money. In general I think that would tend to be keeping the photo about them more than site, but including enough of a historic spot to make it special might work.

Good luck. Get a camera, take it out and shoot pictures of people and see what works and what people are interested in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camaron.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	191450

This one is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palma_Cathedral

10€ per portrait. He is using photopaper for the negative, a paper negative. Then (wrong: he makes an additional contact copy also on paper) the paper negative is rephotographed using the also camera to expose accurately the final positive print, all made in the street. In some 10min customer has the picture to take it away, no shipping costs, etc, both papers cost around 1€ perhaps, not Gallery paper, he deliveres the positive and the negative. His portraits look very vintage but nice, a paper negative has technical shortcomings, but people was very happy with that vintage look, see the atrezzo (hats on the camera and scarfs in the case).

You might find that many people might be weary of giving a stranger their name and address or other contact information as well as money for a promised future delivery, especially if they don’t actually know your details and reputation!

Pere, surely knows that is an Afghan Box Camera.

Afghan Box Camera Project
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

Randy, I cannot tell the country, this was near Ibiza that is very "international"

______

A nice product would be a dry plate reversal processed...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

Cuban street photographers used something similar, except they rephotographed the paper negative to make the positive -- and for a little extra money, Che could be added to your photograph.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Cuban street photographers used something similar, except they rephotographed the paper negative to make the positive -- and for a little extra money, Che could be added to your photograph.
    This is the way the camera I posted was doing it... I said contact copy but I was wrong, the paper negative was rephotographed again like you say, just I reviewed the whatsapp message of a friend that was photographed with it.

One member here, living in USA also uses the technique.

I believe he calls it the Afghan Camera.
    Tin Can