View Poll Results: Do you buy photographic prints or art in general?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I buy photographic prints often, from new and old artists

11 26.83%
  • Yes, but only work from established/significant photographers

8 19.51%
  • Yes, but only from new or up-and-coming artists

4 9.76%
  • No, I do not buy photographic prints, but I purchase other types of art

7 17.07%
  • No, I only print/hang my own work

7 17.07%
  • No, I do not buy art

4 9.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you buy photographic prints / art?

Re: Do you buy photographic prints / art?

Yes I have but not a lot.. I do collect Printer Proofs and have quite a collection and cross section of artists.

I do buy art, but only to enjoy, and my budget is limited. I have a collection of about 150 prints by other people, about 25 of which were purchased. The rest were traded for.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

I buy mainly found photography and film. But once in a while I will buy something from a currently producing artist or photog.

I was very excited to buy a couple of wood block prints from an artist. But sadly they stunk of rancidity. The artist is a green devotee, vegan, etc. She used soy based ink. It goes rancid, crude based ink does not. I keep em bagged up, scanned them and printed some to look at. The originals stink too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I do buy art, but only to enjoy, and my budget is limited. I have a collection of about 150 prints by other people, about 25 of which were purchased. The rest were traded for.
    That is impressive! I'm on a budget as well, but never got into trading much.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Yes I have but not a lot.. I do collect Printer Proofs and have quite a collection and cross section of artists.
    What are they exactly? Are they online? Lets see em.

I have an office and have purchased several prints to decorate the space. Have bought at local art fairs to support them. Have bought more expensive works from galleries/photographers while vacationing. I like large format, film and silver gelatin prints of some of western landscapes that I have visited. Would like to get a print by Clyde Butcher. But I enjoy my work by lesser known artists equally. Used to be considered a business expense but I think that is gone. I am not an active large format photographer currently, just a wannabe with gear acquisition syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by invisibleflash View Post
    What are they exactly? Are they online? Lets see em.
    Different people I have printed for over the years... lots of musicians, Vivian Maier, John Yoko solo shows of different artist... No not on line and probably never will but will indeed be hanging in my studio / workspace for me to enjoy

I have a bunch of prints but I don't remember ever buying one. Most were given to me or traded for. Strangely enough back when I sold prints I sold a lot to photographers. Not sure why.

I voted "No, I only print/hang my own work" as that was the nearest option. Last century I used to print black-and-white professionally, so I suppose I could say that other people have paid for the prints, but it was pretty much all short-lived advertising stuff plus the contents of a few books for an architectural/historical publisher (only as they were 150m from the company I worked for!).

Due to some financially unwise moments I don't have an art-budget, but I do have the massive total of four swapped prints, plus my own stuff. There isn't much of a materials budget anymore either actually. Oops.