Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3weeks with a 4x5 on vacation advise on practical things

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: 3weeks with a 4x5 on vacation advise on practical things

When traveling by automobile I keep all film in an insulated lunch box with a wide-mouth 1L Nalgene bottle filled with ice wrapped in a thin plastic produce bag to keep the condensation for getting on the film boxes. You can put the bottle in the freezer with water to freeze. When the ice melts (about a day) stop at any fast food or gas station that serve fountain drinks and fill up the bottle from the ice machine. For 120 film I have waterproof Otter Cases - one holds 5 rolls the other about 10 - which I use when backpacking/hiking with MF. Evening is the best time for unloading/loading LF holders But if you must change during daylight hours, stop at a shady location where it is much cooler (you'll stop sweating), wash and dry your hands thoroughly, and use a changing tent. The Harrison pup tent is perfect for 4x5 size.

With Heathrow being the sole exception, I've always had my film hand checked but its been a while since I last flown with film.

Thomas

Thomas

When I asked for the film to to be hand checked at LAX International, they dispatched a TSA special agent, and cause a 40 minutes delay. The worst part was that the TSA special agent forced me to put the film through X-ray because he was not confident with the inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
    When I asked for the film to to be hand checked at LAX International, they dispatched a TSA special agent, and cause a 40 minutes delay. The worst part was that the TSA special agent forced me to put the film through X-ray because he was not confident with the inspection.
    Back in 2011, we spent two weeks at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. In Houston I asked for hand inspection of a fifty sheet box of Tri-X. I explained that it was unexposed high speed film, that it was a sealed box with two inner envelops which could only be opened in total darkness. Ten or fifteen minutes later it was returned with the box insealed.

When it was time to load up the tri-X, I found that both inner packages had been opened. I shot some of the film with misgivings. Back in Houston and now over three weeks later I found that every sheet had 1/4 to 1/2 inch of dark exposure along one edge and fog acros the sheet. No recourse, but wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Now I always put the film through the carry-on x-ray and hope for the best. Seems OK that way.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
    TSA is the worst.

I traveled to Europe for 10 days with my 4x5, brought 20 sheets of Provia, and 50 Sheets of HP5. I used it all on the 7th day. So next time I would bring more than what I think I would need. I didn't refrigerate it at all, just loaded up holders in the hotel bathroom, kept the exposed and unexposed locked in my suitcase in my room. No issues at all either with X-rays (JFK -> DME -> ZAG) and back again (ZAG -> IST -> BOS) no body batted an eye at security. They seemd to be more interested in my 16mm B&H Filmo with the 3-lens turret than my Linhof.
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

I got held up in security in Lima, Peru -- they had no idea what they were seeing on the x-ray scanner's screen and called over a supervisor. I guess they do not see many wood and brass 5x7 cameras!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Why did you ask for hand inspection, Jeff? That's just looking for trouble. You're interrupting their manpower flow. Just have the whole nine yards X-rayed. Even repetitive TSA scans aren't going to fog even low densities of sensitive film unless its especially high ASA.
    But I've never been through LAX. SFO can also be a bit paranoid.

In the summer, even if out for just a few hours, the loaded film holders travel in a cooler sized for a six-pack. Cars can get terribly hot terribly quickly.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."