Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3weeks with a 4x5 on vacation advise on practical things

3weeks with a 4x5 on vacation advise on practical things

Hi all,
    For the first time i知 going to take my 4x5 on holliday for 3 weeks, as i has never used it more than onze day I have some questions.
    I知 keeping my Ektar 100 always in the refrigirator and load it the eventing before.
    As I am going to a place where the temperature is at least 83 farenheid and there are at least 6 airplain changes I could use some practical advice.
    Ps as you can see i知 not native English

Thanks
    Patrick

Re: 3weeks with a 4x5 on vacation advise on practical things

Put your films in carry-on bag, not in check-in luggage. Read Kodak Ektar film instruction.

Airport scanners for hand luggage should not harm film (recent trips to Chile via Peru, with multiple scans of 125ASA B&W -- no problem).

After arriving, keep film in center of luggage during the day to keep it cooler...perhaps wrapped in insulating clothes (sweater, etc). If you have air conditioning in your room, keep film out to cool down during the night.

If you are renting a car, buy a small cheap ice chest to put the film in. Do not put the film in the trunk.

Have fun.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Here school children often carry little zippered nylon lunch bags with aluminized insulation inside. These work great for film.

Note if you go someplace very hot and humid, sheet film gets sticky and can be hard to change, and we know it can get hot inside a changing bag... A good practice is to only change film someplace cool and dry, like an air conditioned room at night so you don't sweat too much while changing film...

If going through customs, it's probably better not to have holders loaded, but in film boxes, because almost no one knows how film holders work and there is light sensitive film inside, but at least a film box is marked film...

Bring extra empty film boxes to hold your exposed film...

Steve K

@steve,

Indeed, a few weeks ago I was in Riga (Letland) with a Medium range finder and at customs nobody seems to know 120mm film.

Drew,

The aluminized zip bags, is this not a problem for the security scanners?
    Next month friends from Florida will come to Belgium so I could ask them to bring some.

Bring more film than you think you'll need

Bob

An insulated lunch bag should keep film cooler. Zip-Loc bags inside each other with a bit of ice will help.

Keep the kit simple to save weight; fewer lenses (one?) fewer film holders etc. I bring a changing bag instead of the tent. My 90mm Nikkor 5.6 stays home and the little Schneider 90mm/6.8 comes off the bench. The Ries tripod stays home as does the Berlibach. They are replaced with a CF set of legs with simple Magnesium alloy ball head. The camera is a little Wista-made Zone VI. It is light enough to work with the light-duty CF tripod and ball head. It has alll the movements, but only 12" of max extension.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Drew,

The aluminized zip bags, is this not a problem for the security scanners?
    Next month friends from Florida will come to Belgium so I could ask them to bring some.
    Pack for the airport security check point with the bag empty. Load it up with film and ice for ground travel. It is a case of doing what is possible when it can be done and adapting to circumstances.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!