Thread: Oslo

Oslo

Going to Oslo next week. Suggestions on things to do? Not just photographically.

Re: Oslo

Go to Moe Church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_Church

My last name is a town in Norway.

Never been there...

But I am member of Sons of Norway and today is Norwegian Constitution Day

Here we meet this Sunday. Anyone welcome, even Swedes.
    Tin Can

Hello from good old Europe!
    If you are interested in great stories about exploration of the Arctic, I can recommend to visit in Oslo the museum dedicated to the famous arctic boat "Fram" built and operated by Fridtjof Nansen, one of the greatest explorers of the Arctic at the end of the XIXst century.
    https://frammuseum.no/
    Nansen's boat, mostly made of oak wood, is displayed in the museum, and was carefully designed to withstand ice pressure during a long winter, caught in the ice pack near the North Pole.
    The story of the drift of the Fram caught in the ice is an extraordinary one. All crew members returned home safely, Nansen was acclaimed as a national hero.
    Nansen wrote a book about the Fram expedition, entitled in English "Farthest North".
    Penguin Random House, ISBN 9780375754722

This is one of the most fascinating book about exploration that I have ever read. And many pictures have been taken with a LF camera during this incredible adventure!

When you are in the harbour area, somewhere near the castle (and you will be), then think of taking the water-taxi over to the Kontiki, Fram and the viking-ship museum. The water-taxis are an excellent way of getting around. Use public transport, it's great. Make a tourist photo of the tiger by the station, everyone does. Consider taking the train over the mountains to Bergen, or at least as far as Finse, the highest station in Norway. You can sleep overnight there too, just about all there is are bunkhouses and couple of hotels. Go and play on the glacier if you have never done that before (excursions available). If you have time to get to Bergen you will find another Norway with Fjiords instead of islands, and lots of busses and ferries -- as good as a cruise, or actually take a cruise up the coast or out of Oslo. I hope that you have several weeks available! I have visited Norway repeatedly, to Oslo, Bergen, Finse, Hardangervidda, Voss, Ulvik for work and for climbing. It is a very attractive country. Enjoy your trip
    Last edited by MartinP; 17-May-2019 at 14:24. Reason: typo

Be careful not to get Shanghaied as Norway’s Workforce Shortage Increases

I am kidding but that once was a real thing and Norway does need workers.
    Tin Can

Thanks all, not taking LF, only an M6 and a couple of lenses. Weight restricted! Luis

I was in Oslo in the late 60's and remember visiting (and photographing) this park: https://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=181601

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    I was in Oslo in the late 60's and remember visiting (and photographing) this park: https://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=181601
    It is still there, of course. There is now a museum and exhibition with further examples indoors at Vigelands former workshop (which is useful if it's raining . . .).

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    It is still there, of course. There is now a museum and exhibition with further examples indoors at Vigelands former workshop (which is useful if it's raining . . .).
    Still wonderful even in rain or night-time. Hundreds of naked sculptures in all aspects of age. My favorites are on each end of the bridge, 10m above. The Folkemuseum with lots of old buildings and interiors and not to forget the Viking ship museum. To bad the last will be crowded. Old part of town with wooden houses: Kampen.
    Use public transport, safe at all times. Get the "Ruter Reise" and "Ruter billett" apps to find the way and pay. Bicycle for rent: "Bysykkel" app. View of Oslo: tram (T) from Majorstua (runs through center) to Frognerseteren. Sit by the window on left side. New thing is a sculpture-theme park at Ekeberg.
    https://happylanding.no/kortreist-tur-historiske-oslo/
    If you can afford, go out and dine, be aware of the beer-price starting at €10.

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Where to get 135-film in Oslo: Japan Photo at Jernbanetorget and Bogstadveien, Fotophono at Sandakerveien, Studio Technika at Göteborggata (pro-lab, also 120 and large format) Oslofoto at Møllergata (analogue dedicated with 1-hour lab, also 120 and large format), Scandinavian Photo at Møllergata (biggest shop, 135 &120) Interfoto at Skøyen (big pro with Leica department 135,120&4x5") and Foto.no at Barcode / Dronning Eufemias gate (135&120. If just outside Oslo, look for Japan Photo.

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix